Chapter I - Are you excited?

"Genesis Destiny Fairchild! If you're not down in five minutes, you're going to be late!"

Huh? I thought I was early.

"Mom made special birthday pancake for you, dimwit!" My sister, Autumn pokes her head through my doorway.

I'm 17 years old and I'm turning 18 in a few hours. My sister Autumn Harmony Fairchild is two years younger than I am. She just celebrated her birthday last week.

Not only our birthdays are close together, we look almost the same too that sometimes people thought that we were twins. We both have pale clear skin, very light hazel eyes, and big fat pouty lips. The only difference is that my red hair is more coppery color while Autumn's is a lighter shade, and I'm a bit taller than she is. I'm 5'11" which is just a little over the average height of most she-wolves, and Autumn is 5'9".

We're both busy getting ready to go to school today. It sucks that I have to go to school on my birthday.

"Happy Birthday, by the way," says Autumn when I joined her at the top of the stairs. "Are you excited yet?"

"Excited about going to school on my birthday?" I ask back looking at her as if she's crazy.

"No, silly! About possibly meeting your mate today!" she replies, looking at me as if I was the crazy one.

"I don't know...I'd be more excited if I don't have to be stuck in school the whole day on my birthday."

"You're right, but still," she says. "I can't wait to turn 18 so I can meet my mate already," she sighs dramatically. "Oh, I bet he's so hot. The hottest guy in the whole pack."

I roll my eyes and run downstairs slinging my school bag across my shoulder. Yeah, as a werewolf, we get to sense our mate as soon as both our mate and we turn 18. That means for me, sometime during lunchtime today, if my mate is already 18 and he's living somewhere around here.

"Happy birthday, honey!" greets mom cheerfully. She places a plate filled with stacks of pancakes dripping with maple syrup on the breakfast table. 

"Happy birthday, baby girl!" echoes my dad equally cheerfully.

"Are you all excited?" asks Mom. "You might meet your mate today!" she giggles. Yes, my mom giggles!

Oh my Gosh! I'm going to be asked this question over and over again today, it seems.

"No, she's not. She's not going to let any boys near her until she's at least 40," announces dad.

I just smirk and resist the urge to roll my eyes at both of them.

Well, actually I am excited. I can feel my wolf, Ezra being restless and excited the whole night. Our wolves don't talk like in the stories you read, but we feel their emotions. Their moods affect and influence us. 

My Ezra is excited, which makes me even more excited. That's why I'm all dressed up today. I have mascara on, dark eyeliner that enhances my light hazel eyes and strawberry lip gloss. I'm wearing my dark wash jeans with a green t-shirt that brings out the green of my eyes, a black leather jacket, paired with black vans. Well...actually that's just the way how I dress every day for school. But yeah, I am very excited about possibly meeting my mate today. Not that I would ever admit that to my parents. Ewww...that would be so embarrassing.

Autumn and I walk to school. It's just a 15-minute walk, but I enjoy it.

When we get to school, Autumn heads off to where her friends are waiting, while I go inside where my friends usually hang out.

Penny, Reese, and River are hanging out by our lockers as usual. Reese and River are mates. Penny hasn't turned 18, so she hasn't found her mate yet.

"Happy birthday, girl!" yells Penny as soon as she spots me, drawing the attention of most students loitering the hallway.

She pulls me into a hug and soon after Reese and River do the same.

"You're going to have to wait after school for your gift," says Reese excitedly.

"You're going to be 18! Finally. Are you excited?" asks Penny.

Gosh! I should collect a dollar every time somebody asked me that question. Maybe I'd make enough money to buy a Corvette.

"I don't know. I think I'm a bit nervous," I admit.

"Yea, I'd probably be nervous too, meeting our mates for the first time...but it's exciting too!" shrieks Penny clapping her hands excitedly.

"Don't be nervous, Genesis. It'll be okay," soothes Reese.

"It's better than okay. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me," smiles River, wrapping his arms around Reese.

"Awww...isn't he sweet?" coos Reese with that look in her eyes as she stares up at River, and not long after, they start making out.

Penny and I look at each other and roll our eyes. Mated werewolves and their PDA.

"Oh well," I shrug, making faces at Penny.

"Boy, I wish we can mate with one of those hotties," she suddenly sighs as she stares dreamily over my shoulder.

I turn around to the sight of three male lycans walking down the hallway. They are so tall, about 6'5" or more.

You see, lycans are different than us regular werewolves. For one thing, they are known to be the direct descendants of the moon goddess, so they are treated like the nobility in the werewolf world. In fact, our king is a lycan. 

Second, they are bigger, faster, fiercer, smarter, stronger and more powerful than any werewolves, even more than the alphas. They are like killing machines when provoked. You don't want to mess with them. 

Third, in their human form, they are better looking and more attractive than us regular werewolves who are considered to be better looking than most humans...like way more. So, lycans are god-like smoking hot. 

Fourth, they don't have to belong to a pack. They can travel anywhere alone and not considered a rogue. 

And fifth, they don't have mates chosen for them by the moon goddess like us regular werewolves. They get to choose their own mates, either another lycans or regular werewolves they're attracted to. They would form a bond, much like werewolf's mate bonds, or even stronger if they're both attracted to each other, to begin with. Once, I heard a story about a lycan who took an already mated she-wolf, leaving her mate broken since there's nothing anybody can do about it. 

There are only three male and two female lycans in our school of over six hundred students. Only 10 percent out of those six hundred students are humans. All the teachers and the administration of this school are werewolves too.

The three lycans who are heading this way right now are Lazarus, Caspian, and Constantine. The female lycans who are not around right now are Serena and Milan. I haven't seen those two around for over a week now. They are, of course, drop dead gorgeous. I think Serena is mated to Lazarus, and Milan may or may not mated to Caspian. There are rumors that those three boys are closely related to our ruling king, but we don't know for sure. There's not much else that we know about the lycans in our school. Not even their last names. They keep to themselves and pay no attention to us mere werewolves and humans. That makes them so mysterious and that much more attractive to the female population here.

So yeah, those three God-like looking adonis are drop dead gorgeous. Jaw dropping. Panty melting. And I so would be making a fool of myself if I don't stop drooling over them...like Penny...and all the other un-mated she-wolves around us right now. Cuddly bunny and fuzzy slippers!!!

I turn back around and start pulling books that I need from my locker. There's no way a lycan would be interested in an Omega like me. Lycans are attracted to strength, intelligence, and beauty. Besides, I might be meeting my mate today. Flutters of excitement start in my tummy at the thought. My wolf Ezra is getting excited. We've been waiting for this for years.