Chapter X - Anyone Ever Died of Embarrassment?

I can't seem to stop thinking about Constantine tonight as I lie down flat on my bed, staring my boring white ceiling. I blame it on Penny.

I first met Constantine at the end of a summer break when I was 15. I never told a soul about it. Not even my two besties.

I was at our Art Supply store by myself that afternoon. Dad went to the next town over to deal with something and mom was meeting a client for a portrait commission.

The delivery guy just delivered boxes of newly shipped merchandise and left them in the hallway. Lazy man. They are too heavy for me to lift to be stored at the back.

I was standing behind the counter, scowling at the boxes when the bell rang indicating a costumer at the door. I looked up...and there he was. I stared up at him and he just stared at me staring at him.

He's so big and tall and radiated power and authority and....so beautiful. I had never seen a man so beautiful before, it's almost unreal.

His shoulders were so broad they almost fill out the door. He's wearing black jeans that followed the contours of his well muscled legs. A white t-shirt that stretched tightly across his well defined chest and six pack abs. His tanned golden skin looked as smooth as honey.

Thick, lustrous dark brown hair tousled with a few silky locks fell carelessly across his forehead and his strong arched dark brows.

He had a perfect symmetrical features with prominent cheekbones, a high bridged straight nose, and a sharp angular jaw that led to a strong chin. What captured me the most were his silver grey eyes that were surrounded by eyelashes so thick and long. His silver eyes were so piercing and were regarding me with such intensity that I couldn't look away from even if I wanted to.

I kept staring at him, yet I had no idea when he got so close. One moment he's standing by the door, the next thing I knew, he's standing so close, with only inches between us. This close, I can see how unusual his silver grey eyes are. The pupils were so black, the Irises were actually the palest blue-silver with black rim surrounding them.

"Hi," I said shyly, trying to look away as I felt my cheeks warming up.

"Hello," he replied and smiled back. Then I was lost again, staring at his smile. His smile made him looked even more breathtaking. His pink lips looked surprisingly full and sensual. His teeth straight and white. His canines a little bit prominent, but that only makes him looked even more dangerous and attractive.

He looked amused and his lips twitched as if he was trying hard not to laugh.

My cheeks were burning and my heart was racing.

Oh Goddess, I must be looking like a crazy girl in front of this gorgeous God-like creature. What is wrong with me? I never looked at a man this way before.

I cleared my throat and said in my most professional voice. "Hi, how can I help you, sir?" Sir? Oh Goddess, really? I felt like banging my head against the wall. He looked about 17 or 18 at the most.

He told me that he needed some painting supplies, so I told him can take a look around and just ask if he needed any help.

He kept asking me about the merchandise that I had to follow him around even though what I really wanted to do was go hide or lie down and die from my embarrassment.

He wasn't even looking at the paint or brushes or medium he was asking me about. His silver grey eyes were fixed on my face the whole time. My heart stuttered and my cheeks kept burning up every time I looked up to meet his steady gaze.

Once I thought he took a sniff of my neck when I was reaching in for a jar of Gesso at the back of the shelf, but when I straightened up, I found that he was staring at rows of oil paints in front of us.

I cursed myself for my wild imagination. Only mates sniff each other. At least that's what my mom told me.

He bought a lot of stuff that day. I mean a lot! Including an expensive wooden studio easel, an easy to carry French easel, a studio table, oil paints, acrylics, pastels, canvasses, brushes...a lot. My dad was impressed with the sales that I made that day.

I can't stop thinking about him that summer. I felt as if there was a connection between us that day. Then the school started and I found out who or what he was. He was a sophomore even when he looked older than sixteen and had one class with me that year. I guess the feeling was one sided. He never even looked at me once. I doubt that he even knew I existed. It was foolish of me to think that he might even remember me at all, let alone having a connection.

My crush died a sad sudden death that year...well, not really. I think I still have a crush on him even now. I just ignore it the best I could. I pretend that I didn't see him around even when I take a little peek at him every once in a while. Just a little.

Well then, if he doesn't even remember me, maybe I can go up and talk to him. But then again, no werewolf nor human ever dared approach or talk to the lycans before. Even those girls who keep looking at them with openly lustful stares. They might talk about how hot those lycans are and how they wish that one of the lycans would pay them the slightest attention, but not even one of them dared breath a word to those lycans. The lycans are very aloof and mysterious and intimidating.

If I were to go up to him, what would I even say? "Excuse me, Your Lordship, Your Gorgeousness...would you please take my V card?" Then I'll die of embarrassment for sure.

Uh..maybe "Excuse me, Constantine...you gorgeous creature you, would you take my V card? Please? Here's five hundred dollars...uh, a hundred and twenty three dollars and fifty cents, actually...sorry, went shopping with my buddies. So yeah, would you?" Then I'll double die. Arrgghh...I groan into my pillow.

Maybe I should just ask him if he wanted to be friends. Yeah, that's a better idea. I mean, even a lycan could use a werewolf friend right? You can't have too many friends, as dad said to me a few times.

Okay, that's it. That's what I'll do tomorrow. Once we're friends, we'll see what will happen...or more likely, what will never happen.

Well...whatever. I'm a grown, brave and strong woman. I can so do this. Yeah!!!

Easier said than done. I was nervous the whole day. Penny kept asking me what was wrong.

It's at the end of school hour, when all students are leaving that I gather enough courage to approach him. I figure, if he said no to my offer of friendship, I don't have to bump into him again, thus avoid anymore embarrassment...for the day at least.

I look frantically around, determine to do this before I loose my courage. Students are rushing past me when I catch a glimpse of the three. It's not that hard to catch them actually, since they're way taller than the rest of the student body.

They are walking casually, like they have nowhere important to get to while other students are scurrying out the exit door.

When the hallway is almost clear, I briskly walk up to them from behind. Before I loose my courage, I tap him on the shoulder, "excuse me, Constantine? Can I talk to you for a minute?" Wow, I sound so strong and confident.

He turns around, and words died at my throat.

Oh goddess, he's so beautiful, and perfect and big...and intimidating. What was I thinking?

He raises an eyebrow in question when I stand there gaping at him with my mouth open. I'm sure I look like a fish. A dying fish.

I gulp. "Uh...forget it. Never mind... Sorry. Umm...bye!" Then I turn and run. Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!

Has anyone ever died of embarrassment? Because that's what I'm about to do...go die.

*********************************************************************

How do you like Constantine? ;) Votes and comments for encouragement is very much appreciated. Thanks!!!

XOXOXO

Nicole