Chapter XXXVII - of Time and Space

During lunch, River, Reese and Penny join me at the lycans' table like before. This is the first time they join the table when Milan is around. She just raises an eyebrow when my werewolf friends take their seat at the table.

Constantine takes my hand in his as soon as we're seated. He leans down and burrows his face against my neck, breathing in deeply. I lift my head up above Constantine's just in time to see Milan watching us with narrowed eyes before she looks away.

The table is awfully quiet. All the lycans seem okay, but my were friends seem tense. I feel a sense of dread hitting the pit of my stomach not long after. Ezra is very uneasy and restless. Nobody seems to be interested in talking.

The feeling of sickness increases and I glance over at Milan. She looks innocent, but I sense the source of angst coming from her.

I remember what Serena told me the other night, so I concentrate in trying to project my alpha and lycan dominance. Instead of dominating, I project it as a protection for my friends and myself.

Gosh, I've never done this before. This better work, otherwise I'll wreck my friends even more! After a while, a sense of relief fills me. My were friends seem more relaxed. Wow, I can't believe it's working! I observe Milan's eyes widen. Now I'm sure she's doing this on purpose.

Milan isn't even sparing me a glance, but I see a gleeful glint in her eyes and I can feel her projecting even stronger wave of dominance. It's taking more and more out of me to keep my guard up. I can feel Ezra's struggle to keep me protected. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this. Before long, I can feel my energy slipping.

That sickening feeling in my stomach is back. Ezra is defiant, but she's weakening and it's getting worse every second. I glance at Serena in panic. She looks back at me with that unreadable serene expression, but I suddenly feel her protective, calming presence wrapping around me. I know Ezra has long bonded with her lycan, Ambrosia.

I think only the three of us, Milan, Serena, and myself are aware of the power play that's going on at this table right now.

My three werewolf friends are looking sick and pale. Penny excuses herself early. She throws most of her lunch away. River and Reese follow soon after. They hadn't eaten much. My friends never threw away good food. This is not okay with me. I feel like screaming at her, but I grit my teeth, trying to calm myself.

Right after Penny, Reese and River left the table, Milan looks up and watches me speculatively for a while.

"We had fun in Russia, too bad you didn't come with us," she says to me finally, her beautifully manicured fingers touching Constantine's arm.

That's news to me. I didn't know she went with them. "Well, good for you. I'm glad you had fun." Something twisted in my chest.

"So Genesis, let's hang out after school today," she suggests suddenly. "We can watch a movie, or go shopping or something. Yeah, shopping sounds like fun, don't you think? I could use a new pair of shoes, or two."

"Uh, no thanks," I answer. As if I'd go anywhere with her after what she did just now. I'd rather have lunch with a boa constrictor.

"Look, I know you don't have much money. Don't worry, I'll pay for everything!" She sounds enthusiastic and innocent. I can see the steely glint and challenge in her eyes and hear the insult.

"No, thanks. I have tons of homework today."

"Okay, what about tomorrow? We can do our homework together," she asks hopefully.

I glance casually at Serena. I can see some emotions in her eyes, but her face is still a blank mask of serenity.

Caspian, Lazarus, and Constantine are staring at us, listening to our exchange.