Chapter XLVIII - This I Pledge to You

"Costa, I'm not dressed for this," I protest as we turn into Pacifica Drive. This is the area where the rich go to. It's the place for fancy restaurants, swanky clubs, glitzy boutiques, and luxurious hotels.

"You look gorgeous, Sunshine," he counters, lifting my hand up to his lips.

I remember when River used to drive Reese, Penny, and I around the area just to look at the people and the bright lights. I came dining around here a few times when grandpa Quentin came to visit. Mom made us dressed up very nicely...not like this. I look down at myself. Black jeans, Constantine's expensive white shirt, but a couple sizes too big for me, and a pair of white converse. I wonder if there are twigs and dry leaves in my hair.

Constantine pulls in front of The Monarchy, the fanciest hotel and restaurant in the city. Oh, I am so not dressed for this!

In a flash, he's out of the car, pushing aside the man who's about to take my hand to help me out of the car. He hands the key to his Ferrari to the valet and almost has to drag-carry the very reluctant me up the shiny black marble steps and into the grand foyer.

A very well-groomed woman in her early thirties hurries over even before we step inside the opulent restaurant. The maître d' is hot on her heels. "Your Highness Prince Constantine," greets the woman with a dip of her well-coiffed head. "Your Highness," says the man. "It's so good to see you again."

They acknowledge me with a respectful little bow of their heads, not even batting an eyelid over my scruffy appearance.

"Marisol, Jefferson," Constantine acknowledges them with a curt, but polite nod.

"They're already waiting, Your Highness," informs the woman.

"Right this way," says the man, extending his arm towards the restaurant.

"You come here often?" I ask Constantine.

"Sometimes..." he answers. "My family from my mother's side owns this place."

The restaurant is posh and stylish with luminous natural stone walls, and floor to ceiling glass paneling overlooking the well-lit gardens. The interior gleams with polished wine glasses and moody lighting from the chandeliers and well-placed ambiance lights. Another thing I notice besides the elegant setting is the delicious smell of food. Ahhh...food.

The opulent room is full of guests. Men in their expensive suits, and women in beautiful designer dresses. I want to disappear into the walls.

Some of them are humans, but I sense many of them are werewolves. Conversations hushed and the well-dressed patrons look up as soon as we step in. I can't blame them. Constantine looks gorgeous even in just his t-shirt and jeans. His hair is carelessly and sexily mussed up as usual. He reeks the air of importance and power. There's also a combination of danger and reckless sex appeal that is hard to ignore. I probably look like something that a cat drags in....or a lycan drags in.

Constantine pulls me closer to him as we walk past the tables. His hand on the small of my back moves to grip my hip possessively.

"I can't stand it when the men stare at you like that," he growls lowly in my ear.

Like what? All I can see is the women eyeing him with interest, even those dining with their partners. I notice their lustful gaze following his every footstep.

We walk through the restaurant to the side door that leads to a magnificent courtyard. Beautiful miniature trees and flower bushes, a fish pond with a water fountain right in the center, filled with koi. Lights illuminate every tree and bush and from inside the pond. I don't have the time to appreciate the beauty as we walk briskly through it into another building.