7: 'A Ghost'

Payson's PoV:

"Goodnight," everyone yells at each other as we head off to our own rooms. A flurry of door shutting and shuffling is followed by that unwanted, but so needed silence. I am sitting outside in my large Ramones T-shirt and some spandex shorts, brushing my hair.

"Psst. Psst," someone calls from beside me. I look over at Ashton hiding behind the small wall that separates our balconies. I laugh and motion for him to hop over. He is wearing an old, worn out Marvel T-shirt and some black basketball shorts. He takes a seat beside me and leans back in the chair.

"Such a nice night," Ashton speaks up first.

"Yeah. I like coming out sometimes, lying on the grass back at home, and watching the stars. I also like to make shapes out of them, like clouds, but only you connect the dots."

"Yeah, like finding constellations."

"Not exactly. See, constellations are already pointed out for you, but when you stargaze, you find your own shapes."

"You sure do know a lot about this."

"Well, I spend a lot of time at night," I smile and then think about my late night stargazing. But most of my time at night is spent with Christian.

"Yeah. Night is the best. Sometimes I wish we didn't have to sleep. That way we could enjoy the day and the night."

"Yeah," I trail off, suspiciously, "The view is really pretty tonight."

"Yeah," Ashton trails off dreamily and I catch him staring aimlessly not at the sky, but at me. I blush and look down at my fidgeting hands.

"Well, I better be off to bed. We have a big day tomorrow," he smiles and kisses the top of my head before hoping over the wall and back to his room for bed. I stay outside and stare up at the stars with a cheeky smile spread across my face.

The next morning, I get down the stairs by myself before anyone wakes up. The boys usually have studio at eleven and I got up around seven, so no one should be awake till ten. I stumble around a bit with the crutches under my arms, but I finally get a bowl of Corn Flakes and some OJ. I make two trips to the couch to set the bowl and cup on the coffee table, spilling a bit of milk. I make my way to get a towel and clean it up. Maybe I do need Ashton home all the time to help because by the time I finish cleaning up my mess, found the remote, and sat myself up on the couch, I was out of breath. I take a sip of my Orange Juice before flipping though some channels, stopping at a recap of a football game. I slowly eat my cereal and watch Manchester versus Doncaster. By the time Michael, Calum, and Luke make their way downstairs, I am cheering on Manchester very loudly.

"Go! Go! No! Aw! Come on! You could do better 24!"

"You alright, Payson," Luke asks calmly.

"Yeah, just really caught up in this game. Sorry if I woke you."

"No. I'm glad you woke me or else we all would have been late," Luke explains.

"Do you want me to wake Ash before we go? Not much of a babysitter if he is asleep."

"Who's asleep," Ashton asks, walking down the stairs, fully clothed and showered.

"Wow. You're really taking this job seriously. Unlike your career," Calum jokes and Ashton sticks his tongue out at him.

"Woo," I cheer, almost spilling my OJ, and getting looks from the boys.

"She really likes football," Michael explains.

"I can tell," Ashton widens his eyes at the sight of football fan me and I laugh.

"OK, we gotta go. Come on, mates," Luke ushers Michael and Calum, currently with half a piece of toast in his mouth, out the door. Luke just waves. Calum yells, "Hoo roo!" And Michael yells, "Take good care of h--" The door slams shut with a loud bang followed by silence other than the murmur of the television.