24: Paper Airplanes

Payson's PoV:

The wind whistled as the car bounced along the streets. The rain grew thicker and louder against the car as we got closer to home. A big storm had hit LA so when we were heading home after the day at Disneyland, we weren't too pleased to have a gloomy mood to come home to. Every one was asleep except me of course. I asked to sit in the front since I knew I wouldn't sleep. My head leaned against the side window as the cold water cooled down my hot cheeks. Music pounded through my ears, blocking out not only the snoring but all thought of tonight as well. How could an innocent question just drive an icy chisel through our relationship? I found it quite ironic that I hated so much keeping things from people yet that is all I seem to do. Lies. Lies. Lies. I couldn't stand it anymore. I knew my lies were better off for everyone but myself. My selflessness was destroying my insides like a cigaret. I needed a new hair colour and fast. I needed to be out in this rain to wash all of my past off. I could tell Ashton was suspicious but I can't tell him. I just can't.

"Joe?" I took out one earbud and turned to the driver. He nodded his head and I continued, "Can we stop at a liquor store on the way. I need to get a few things." He nodded his head once more and after a few minutes diverted our course to a small shop next to a servo. I ran through the rain, letting my hair get soaked, and entered the shop. I went over to the hair products and picked out a couple boxes of lavender hair dye. I went to the cashier and threw a pack of mint gum along with my order before I handed him a couple damp notes. I thanked him and jumped back into the car, stuffing the boxes in my bag before one of the boys woke up. Calum started to shuffle awake and blinked a few times before turning to me.

"Are we there yet," he groggily asked.

"No. We stopped at a servo. You want some gum?"

"No thanks. I'm going back to sleep, little owl," he smiled and leaned his head against the window once again. I shoved a piece of gum in my mouth and started my music again, drowning out my thoughts for sure.

When we arrived home, Joe had pulled halfway into the vacant garage so the boys would be out of the rain. He went around to the boot and started taking our cases inside. I guess I had to wake the boys. I shook Luke up and he moaned before blinking awake, quickly looking at his phone. I went around to the other side and knocked hard on Calum's window so he would wake up. He did so and then woke up Michael and Ashton after. We went inside and I helped Joe take in the rest of the bags and instruments. The boys went straight up to their beds. Joe left after I thanked him for driving. Everyone was fast asleep so I went into my bathroom and began to dye my hair from blue to lavender. The colour ran down the drain after the twenty minute wait. It was pretty to watch a light purple overtake the clear liquid and run down the drain. I shook out my hair and plaited it to each side before slipping into bed for the last few hours of night to which I actually slept. The next morning, Michael was jumping on my bed at ten in the morning.

"Payson, get up! Get up," he yelled and I just turned over, throwing the pillow over my head. "Payson. We got the afternoon off! Come play with us," Michael whined and I moaned.

"I'll be down in a minute," I said, muffled by the pillow.

"Yay," he cheered and I rolled over once the door clicked shut. I guess I didn't notice them leaving for the studio this morning. I changed into a t-shirt and some soft jeans and let my hair loose. I went downstairs and got an apple from the kitchen. When I turned around, Ashton was standing no less than a inch from my face with a huge grin on his face. I jumped back a bit, hitting the counter behind me.

"Goodness! You scared the living daylights out of me," I told him, softy laughing. "Why are you smiling?"

"You changed your hair," he said, playing with a strand.