30: Girl's Day

I woke up, still morning over Violet, but still concerned about whether to tell Michael. I went downstairs to get some water when I was scared to death by the girl sitting on the couch. It was Daisy and she was playing on her phone. I shrieked and she just laughed.

"You sleep as much as a dude," she told me, standing up.

"What are you doing here," I asked, still a bit breathless.

"Luke sent me. He said you needed a girl's day."

"Um, no. I really don't," I told her, monotonically.

"Oh well that just proves you do. Now, go put on some nice clothes and we'll go shopping!" I really didn't like shopping and only went when I needed something. But just browsing was not my thing. I reluctantly went upstairs and put on some red shorts, my Jack Daniels tee, black strappy sandals, and my heart shaped sunglasses before going back downstairs. Daisy gave me a piece of toast with meat and cheese on it and I followed her out the door. She had a small yellow Volkswagen and I slid into the passenger seat and took a bite of the breakfast. She started the car and took off with a jolt.

"So," she said, slipping on her sunglasses and pulling out of the driveway, "Lukey told me about your friend and I'm so sorry for your loss but I've learned from experience is to not take too much time to mourn or else you will never learn to live again. You most likely came here to get away. A vacation. So, you must treat it like that. Your best friend died. Get over it. Give yourself ten seconds to remember her whenever you are reminded of her and then move on. There is no need to sacrifice your health just because her's, well, ended. So today is going to be devoted to complete and all things girl. You deserve it and I think you are lacking some oestrogen. So, first we are going to Starbucks, an essential, and then to Target." She seemed to talk endlessly but what she was saying was right. I felt a lot of tears coming at the way she was talking about Violet, but Violet herself was really in a lot of ways like Daisy. So, I followed her advice, sucked it up, and threw on my sunglasses.

"She was my only friend. Just so you know," I blurted out quickly.

"What," she said, looking over at me for a split second.

"Yeah. I mean, besides Michael, she was all I had."

"Well then, sounds like you need a new best friend. I'm Daisy," she smiled, "your new best friend." No one has ever declared themself my best friend and, honestly, I was glad she did.

"Payson," I told her, "your new best friend." Starbucks was quick when you new exactly your favourite thing. For me it was the Tazo Awake Tea and for Daisy it was a Passion Fruit Ice Tea with double tea bags. We sipped our drinks and then walked over to the giant Target, me mostly following the homelander. We bought nothing but still had fun. She talked about Luke and her, explaining that he was a crazy romantic and that she has never had anyone like that before and that they texted every second they weren't working or asleep. She worked at a shop I already forgot the name of and worked four days a week, for six hours a day. Friday was her normal day off, but switched it to Tuesday instead for me to which I thanked her for. I told her that I went through a lot these past few years and about how Michael and Violet were a great support to me. She didn't ask what I had went through but instead about my family. I told her I was an only child and that I had wonderful, caring parents (that I should actually call sometime). I asked her back about her family and she said her dad died when she was little but her mom was a great single mother and that her mom even has a great boyfriend and that they are planning to get married in the fall. She then told me more about Luke and I told her about the trouble with Ashton but all she replied with was, "You two seem cute together." To this I asked if she wanted to come to dinner at our place. She sad yes and all during the time of these events before heading back home for dinner, we had gone to get gelato, an Italian ice cream that was popular in the US, then we sat on some lawn furniture displayed in the Walmart to just relax for the day, and then off for a pedicure. When we got home, the boys were all waiting for us and there was spaghetti and broccoli on the table. Daisy thanked Luke for making dinner. Luke and Ashton had made it with some help from Calum. Ashton and I sat across from each other and Daisy and Michael at either sides of me. The dinner was surprisingly cooked well enough to eat but it might of been worse if they tried to do a barbie. The night continued as Luke popped in a silent movie he got today. We all watched it, every once in awhile making up our own lines to the movie. It was quite boring so I went into the other room and called up my mother. After two rings, she picked up.

"Hello? Sweetheart? Are you okay," she sounded panicky.

"I'm fine mom," I told her.

"Did you hear the news?"

"Yes I did and I'm really sad. I really am, but I got some advice from a friend and I'm okay now. I can't believe this happened," I started to tear up so I took deep breathes and counted to ten before I continued the conversation. "I just wanted to call to let you know I'm okay."

"That's good to hear. So you're making friends out there."

"Yes, in a way. There is this really nice girl I met and we were hanging out today. Her name is Daisy."

"Well that is so good to hear, honey. It really is. You know, I expected you to be really depressed but I'm glad you are taking this well. I can't wait to see you in a week. I can't believe how fast this break has gone. I miss you so much. Me and your dad both."

"I miss you guys too, but I kind of have to go now. Our movie is starting," I lied.

"Okay, honey. Have fun, see you in a week."

"Bye, mom. Tell dad I love him."

"Okay. Good bye, love you," she said and then I terminated the call. I went back to the living room and Ashton gave me a look that said, 'Are you okay?' I then just nodded my head with a smile and focused back on the movie. After it was over, Daisy left after giving Luke a personal goodbye. I went upstairs for an early night and laid in bed. After awhile, Ashton was knocking at my balcony door.

"Hey," he said, stepping into my room and sliding into my bed.

I followed him, quietly asking, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. We just finished the song today."

"We isn't that good," I smiled, trying to get him to cheer up.

"Yeah, but I wanted to sing it to you and they said that we can't show it to anyone. Not even family. We are going to release it three weeks from now."

"That's fine. I can wait. We can wait," I smiled, brushing his hair back.

"No. I want to show it sooner. It was special."

"Then you can just tell me what it was suppose to say. Just tell me, baby," I kept brushing his curls back and rubbing his arm.

"No. I can't tell you until you tell Michael about us. It's only fair," he sighed.

"Look, I'm really trying but I just - I don't know. It's like this war in my head. Just give me some more time okay?"

"Okay. So," he said, laying on his back, "your handling this thing with Violet a little too well. Why is that?"

"Daisy gave me some good advice. She said not to jeopardise my health because of it and although she might have been talking about something naïve, it meant so much more to me. There are some things that happened in my past and I don't plan on repeating them."

"Wow. Well, I'm proud of you," he said, placing a kiss to my forehead. "You know, I'm going to wanna know about this past of yours someday. I can't keep waiting for your secrets to reveal themselves." This caught me off guard and I didn't say anything for along time. Soon he just ignored it and drifted off to sleep.