33: Suds

Friday was complete with cartoons in the morning and an invite to a party that night. Daisy invited us to one of her friend's parties. She was just going to invite Luke as her date but then her friend definitely said she should bring three other hot guys. (Her words not mine, except for Ashton. I agree with her on that.) She said it was a "foam party" and that literally they cover the dancefloor in suds and you dance in them. Seems a bit ridiculous but the boys seemed to be excited, so I agreed. I changed into my togs, some jean shorts, and a tank top. I brought a towel and an extra pair of jeans for after. The boys were in their togs and tees too. I ordered them all to bring towels at least and they reluctantly responded. We all got into the car and went to the address Daisy sent us. The place was lit up a bit in front but you could hear the music booming in the backyard. We walked inside and set our stuff down with everybody else's. Michael turned to Ashton and threw his hand on his shoulders.

"Ashton. Will you be my wingman tonight?"

"No," Ash responded firmly but with a smile.

"What? Why not?"

"Because I'm the designated driver and I'm watching Payson."

"Right. Good idea. Calum," he said loudly, turning to Calum. "Will you be my wingman."

"Yes."

"Yay! Now, let's get a drink!" Him and Calum ran off and me and Ashton just laughed. Ashton turned back to the couch where our stuff was and he took off his shirt. I widened my eyes and he turned back around.

"What," he asked.

"I -- I -- um," I stuttered.

"You expect me to dance in that stuff with a shirt?"

"No no no no no. K-Keep the shirt off. I was just shocked. Continue." He was smirking now.

"Continue taking my clothes off or," he trailed off.

"No! Continue walking," I said, pushing on his muscular bare back. He walked out into the backyard where there was pink and blue coloured lights everywhere. The music was pounding some loud rap song I didn't recognise but did wonder how they danced to it. We walked over to the coolers and picked up a Coke for each of us.

"Hi," a blonde girl walked up to us in a bikini and short shorts with a huge smile. "I'm Mandy. The host. You must be Daisy's friends."

"Yeah. We are," Ashton answered.

"Ooh! You're from down under?"

"Um yeah. We all are."

"Wait. Daisy is dating a boy with an accent?! Wait. Are you single?" She started to lean closer to him and I narrowed my eyes.

"Um, no, sorry. But my other friends are." Mandy noticed my glare apparently and tried to ignore me with still giving me dirty looks.

"Shame. What do they look like?"

"Well one is Kiwi and the other has blueish hair at the moment."

"Ugh. Coloured hair is such a turn off," she scoffed, most likely making her comment towards me.

"I kind of like it, actually," Ashton told her and them smiled at me.

"So the other one is a kiwi as in like the fruit?"

"No," he laughed. "It's a different kind of Australian. He had dark hair, brown skin, um, tall," he told her.

"Okay. I'll go look for him. What's his name?"

"Calum."

"Eh. I'll get over it. Au revoir!" She walked away sassily and disappeared into the crow of people and suds. After we people watched for awhile, me occasionally sneaking glances at his aby-ness, Michael came stumbling over himself into us.

"Hey guys," he slurred. "You know, there are some pretty hot girls at this party? Uh, lots!"

"Wow. Why don't you take a break inside?"

"Yes, but first let me get another drink first."

"You should slow down, lad," Ashton warned him.

"Neverr," he slurred again, grabbing a drink from the cooler and going inside.

"Time to dance," Ashton said, grabbing my hand and twirling me to the dancefloor.

"I have to warn you, I'm a pretty great dancer."

"I know. I've danced with you before."

"Oh yes. How could I forget," I laughed. "You were pretty awful."

"No I wasn't!"

"Yeah you were. Come on," I laughed, grabbing his hands and starting to dance in the sticky suds. The night felt so long, dancing away as Michael slurred and slumped his way through girls who were clearly taken and just laughing as he stumbled to the next. After a while, Ashton and I had to stop dancing and partly snogging to be the parents and control Michael and Calum. Luke was nowhere to be seen, probably alone with Daisy somewhere. When the people started to die down around midnight, Luke came outside completely dry with messy hair he was fixing back in place.

"Time to go," he told me and I followed him out to the car while Ashton rounded up Cal and Mike. Luke sat on the curb, slumping his head in his hands, so I joined him.

"What's wrong," I asked him slowly.

"Daisy broke up with me. Mid snogging."

"Woah. Why?"

"I told her I was leaving in a few days and that we would have to make these last few days count and they she freaked out and complained that she didn't want long distance."

"Long distance isn't all that bad. You're life is basically lived out on twitter and you guys come here all the time to record."

"Yeah, but I don't know if I can love her from a far."

"Distance is just a test to see how far love can go," I told him, slowly. He looked over at me and then wrapped his arms around me quickly.

"Thank you. I'll talk to her tomorrow and maybe tell her that. It's some great words."

"Thanks. It kind of applies."

"Oh yeah. The tour."

"Yeah," I trailed off, thinking of Ashton.

"When are you gonna tell Michael?"

"I don't know. Soon. I'm just afraid. What if it turns out like the last time?"

"The last time wasn't so bad."

"He was furious when he found out, but after I broke up with him, he was fine. I don't want to break up with Ashton just to mend my relationship with my cousin."

"True. Well, just think of how much you love Ashton and let that motivate you to trust that Michael will understand."

"But that's the thing. Sometimes I feel like I could even say those words but most of the time, I don't even know what they mean to me."

"Hm. Well just listen to your heart."

"You too. With Daisy."

"I will. You're a great friend, you know that?"

"Thank you. You too," I told him and the three boys came out of the house just then. Ashton had our stuff in his hands and Calum was helping Michael walk. I took a towel from the stack and laid it on Michael's seat. Then Luke and Calum assisted him into it. We each took a towel and laid it on our seats as well before getting in and going home. We helped Michael up to his messy room and into bed. I left to take a shower before they helped Michael discern between his boxers and his bedsheets. After, Ashton then joined me in bed for sleep. We were all exhausted and he immediately fell right asleep. What a crazy night this has been.