18: Three's A Date?

After the two hour plane trip, I get my first phone call from Michael. Ashton and I are currently in a cab when it happens. I feel bad not letting him know where I am, but Ashton tells me to ignore it so I just let it go to voicemail. After a bit, it stops ringing and then I text Christian telling him that we are on our way. After the way things ended last time I saw him, I’m kind of nervous about what is going to happen. He would never tell me something that big in front of Ashton, so my plan is to just keep Ashton in the same room at all times until I figure it out. We make it to Christian’s house or should I say unit. It isn’t big but the units seem to be larger than normal. I look at the address Christian sent me and then we try to find it. His unit is on the second floor and I knock on the door as we approach it. Christian answers it with a smile that diminishes as he lays eyes on Ashton.

“I’m so glad you’re here. Is this your cousin,” he asks as he leads us inside.

“Um, no. This is his friend, Ashton, who lives with him. Michael couldn’t make it.”

“Oh, that’s too bad.”

“Is your mum home,” I ask him as we set out stuff down on the floor and gather around the couch.

“No, you just missed her. She went on a business trip.”

“Oh okay. So, what have you got planned for today?”

“Actually, the surprise will have to wait till tomorrow. Chance of rain this afternoon, but tomorrow is fine right?”

“Yeah. Is that fine Ashton?” He seems to have his jaw slightly ajar as he stares at us and then comes back to reality.

“Oh, yeah. Tomorrow is fine, but you might have to tell Michael,” he says cautiously, telepathically making sure that I’m fine with that. I’m not, but I have to tell Michael someday so I just nod my head with the best smile I can muster and turn back to Christian.

“What were you planning to do today, Christian?”

Ashton’s PoV:

As I stand here and watch them talk so monotonically to each other, I can’t help but feel slightly sorry for Payson. I can tell she doesn’t love Christian at all, but what’s sad is she couldn’t really break up with his since it would be rude over Skype. I really need her to see that during the trip since it is a perfect opportunity to do so. Although, I can’t help but notice that Christian really is in love. I know he may come off as cold and a bit self-centered, but I can tell he loves her. But I mean who wouldn’t fall in love with Pay. She is just so amazing and lovely and beautiful and just, just perfect. I realize that she is staring at me with raised eyebrows and all I am doing is admiring her wonderful features. Christian certainly a lucky guy. I can’t help but—

“Swoon.”

“What?” I shake out of my thoughts as I hear Christian say something.

“I told him about that song you were working on and he thought you’re swooning over someone, but that song is for the fans right,” Payson explains with such a perfect small smile that just makes each word worth hanging onto like a hook to a fish.

“U-um, oh! Yeah. You gotta love those fans.”

“Absolutely. My fans are great, too. It feels so nice to help all of them.”

“You have fans?”

“Yeah, I—“

“Why don’t we head to the store right now? I’m getting hungry,” Payson cut him off and dragged him towards the door. I followed them without any clue to where we were going. We went out to the street and he stopped at this little beat up, old car and he unlocked it. This was his car? We got in and had to get in the back behind Payson. As we drove, he played some weird CD of a mix of unfamiliar indie songs and rap. Payson seemed a bit uncomfortable. She put down the mirror in front of her and played with her hair. I sneaked a look at her beautiful refection.