26: Arctic Foxes

"Okay. This is how you Vegemite like a pro. You listening," Ashton asked me. We had gotten up earlier than everyone else because I got hungry and he insisted on making me breakfast.

"Mh-hmm," I nodded, crossing my arms. He spread the dark substance on the hot toast and then took a bite and handed it to me with a smile. "Hey!" He laughed, still chewing on his bite. I took a bite too, laughing, and we heard someone come down the stairs. Please be Luke, I thought to myself. Unfortunately, it was the person I wanted to see the least right now: Michael.

"Morning, Payson," he mumbled, searching through the pantry for cereal. He found his food and poured a bowl before slumping at the table.

"Morning, baby cuz," I smiled and laughed, taking another bite of toast then Ashton sat next to Michael at the table.

"It's too early," he groaned and I shrugged, taking that as my queue to go upstairs. When I made it up, I ran into Calum.

"Whoa, what happened to your face," he asked, about to touch my bruise but letting his hand fall instead.

"I was in the way of a door," I told him.

"Ouch. Why aren't you downstairs," he asked.

"Mikey's in a bad mood. I wouldn't recommend it," I said.

"Hm. Wanna play some GTA until he cheers up," Calum asked, starting for my room. "You promised me a game."

"Sure," I laughed and we went into my room. The sheets we crumpled and both pillows were squished flat.

"Woah, this spot's warm. You sleep on this side," he asked, sitting on the nearest side.

"No. That side is-- um, I mean I toss around a lot," I stutter as I place the game in my console. I join him on the bed and hand him a controller.

"Uh-huh," he says, not believing what I say.

"Peach. Peach where are - oh! There you are, Pay," Ashton said, stepping into my room. "Morning, Cal. Pay, when are you coming down?"

"I don't know. Later. I promised Cal a game."

"But I want to tell you about the surprise," he pouts.

"But I haven't got any time with my buddy, Calum," I pout back, leaning my head on Calum's shoulder who sits there awkwardly. Ashton narrows his eyes at me and I can tell he doesn't like that so I throw my arm across Calum's chest. "Please? Just a wittle bit."

"Fine. Take as long as you need with your buddy," he storms out, mad now.

"Ashton, wait," I yell after him, getting up from my bed. "Sorry, Cal. Give me a minute." I chase after Ashton and meet him halfway down the stairs, laughing slightly. "Ashton. I'm sorry. I was only playing with you," I tell him.

"That wasn't funny. This is a really good surprise."

"I know but I just wanted to play some GTA with Calum. We never got any time this summer."

"You play with him all the time!"

"With Michael. Not ever just me and him," I counter back and now we are both almost yelling.

"Oh come on. What does it matter," he asks.

"Well, don't you ever want one on one time with your friends? I just wanted some time with Calum and you're just stressing on about this stupid surprise that you won't even tell me about!"

"You want me to tell you the big surprise," he yells now.

"Yes," I shout back.

"We're going to San Diego!"