16: The Plan

Someone was shaking me awake and as I opened my eyes I noticed the blue hair above me. Michael knew better than to wake me up, and then I realized that Ashton was in my bed last night. I shot up and quickly looked around for him. No sign of my bedmate. I slowed down my panting and looked at Michael who had a very worried expression on his face. That’s right; I have a doctor’s appointment today. I slumped back down.

“Are you alright,” Michael asked and I remembered he might need an explanation.

“Yeah. I’m just not used to people waking me up.”

“Right. Doctor’s in an hour. Get dressed.” I looked at the clock and it read 6.56am. I was asleep for an hour. Great. I rubbed my eyes after Michael left my room and dragged myself to the closet. I really didn’t want to wear a sweater, but I knew I needed to wear something warm since the doctor’s office was always cold. I threw on some leggings and then moved to Ashton’s door in a black, thin long sleeve shirt. I knocked and he answered in just some boxers.

“Why is it that every time I knock at your door you seem to be shirtless?”

“Maybe it’s just your natural inclination,” he smirked and I just pushed past him into his room. I went to his cases in the closet and picked out another t-shirt; I picked his ‘Live Forever Young’ one with no sleeves. I slipped it on and turned back to him.

“I like it,” he smiled as he scanned my outfit. I felt embarrassed so I walked out and went downstairs to Michael. I grabbed an apple and bit into it.

“Ready to go,” he asked and stood up from the table. I nodded and followed him out to the car. We took the long drive there and I used my apple as an excuse not to talk while I tried to wake up. We made it to the waiting room and sat down.

“You have a great sense of style, you know. Loving the shirt,” he told me and I looked down and laughed to myself.

“Thanks,” I said and pushed up my sleeves. The doctor called me in and he took more x-rays. After a long wait with me begging Michael to tell me what the surprise was and he just saying that he can’t tell me. I did find out that it was Ashton’s idea which made me hopeful. My phone buzzed from my bag on the floor but I had to ignore it since the doctor came in. He told me that I was completely healed but not to do anything too strenuous for a while. I was just happy to get this stupid boot off. Now I could actually go somewhere and do things without a ball and chain tying me to the bed. The nurse took off my boot and I slipped on my second shoe that I brought with me and we walked out after a few more papers mostly for Michael. As he was filling something out, I checked my phone and saw a text from a random number. I was going to delete it but then I read the text.

Whatever Michael tells you, just be excited. It’s all part of the plan.

I had no idea who it was from so I asked Michael after he finished.

“Mike, who is 555-0783?”

“Oh. That’s Ashton’s US number, I think. Why is he texting you?”

“He’s just wondering if I got my boot off for not.”

“Probably just excited.”

“Yeah.”

“Now, how about we get you some caffeine and then I’ll tell you what the surprise is.”

“Yay,” I cheered and he drove me to this place called ‘Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf’. We went inside and I ordered some iced green tea. We sat at a small table as I sipped.

“So, are you ready for the surprise?”

“Yes!” He punched a few things into his phone and then slid it over to me. I took it and saw a picture of five slips that looked like concert tickets but weren’t. I zoomed in on the picture and saw that they were plane tickets to San Francisco. I remembered Ashton’s text and jut pretended to be excited. I wasn’t not excited, but I kind of wanted to go see Christian. Then, I remembered that Michael didn’t know about him so I just smiled and said thank you.

“So, what are we going to do there?”

“Well, the first day we have to meet with someone so you’ll have to stay at the hotel by yourself, but after that we’re free. We are going to stay for three days.”

“Awesome. When’s the plane leaving?”

“In about three hours from now,” he says, looking at his phone for the current time.

“Well, then, we must be off.” We head back to the car and go home. The rest of the boys are sitting on the couch and their bags are already packed and sitting by the door. I went upstairs and grabbed the suitcase I brought and stuffed a few things in it. As I was packing my hair brush and toothpaste, someone entered my room and it turned out to be Ashton. He sat on the toilet and waited for me to finish packing up the last few things in my hand before speaking.

“So, I have a plan. Can we sit somewhere,” he asked calmly and a smile spread across my face. What could he be planning? I lead him to the balcony and we closed the sliding doors.

“What’s up,” I asked, calmly.

“I know that Michael doesn’t know about Christian, so that’s why I suggested that we go to San Fran instead of Seattle. Then I got these.” He handed me his phone after a few clicks and I saw a picture of two more plane tickets but this time from San Francisco to Seattle. I raised my eyebrows in shock. What was he suggesting?

“What does this mean?”

“You and I are going to sneak away to Seattle for a day or two. You can see Christian and then find out if it’s worth telling Michael about. If not, then you can always just blame the trip on me and forget all about it.”

“So what you’re saying is, you planned this trip for me to go and either bring Christian fully into my life or forget all about him and go home with you.” He opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself in shock. He looked nervous and he should be.

“Yes," he stuttered, a bit unsure of himself.

“Okay, then. I’m going to text Christian really quick and finish packing. Why don’t you go downstairs?”

“Oh. OK, then.” He forced a small smile onto his face and then walked towards the door. “Oh, Luke knows. He’s kind of our alibi if you want to talk to him.”

“Later. I’ll see you down soon.” He fully left the room and I went to finish packing. I pulled out my phone and texted Christian.

To ‘A Ghost’:

So, I’m coming out to Seattle tomorrow! Got the cast off! Miss you. X

He replied almost immediately.

From ‘A Ghost’:

Yay! I can’t wait. I have something special planned. ;-) x

To ‘A Ghost’:

I can’t wait n_n

-       -

“We’re late! Hurry Michael,” I called as the boys and I rushed to the plane gate. We finally made it to the gate and not too late. Just in time. We moved through the small isle. Our seats were set up where there was two on the side and then three in the middle.

“Payson, you should sit with me over here,” Michael told me.

“No, you always fall asleep. I want to sit with,” I looked over to Ashton who was waiting for me to pick him, but I was mad at him so I said, “Luke.” I pulled him by the arm and sat him next to me.

“Okay. Hands off, Luke,” Michael warned and he just blushed. I smiled at him and mouthed “sorry” when Michael turned around. Ashton shot me a glance and then sat between Calum and Michael. The flight attendant came around and told us to buckle the seat belts. Michael gave Luke a strange look and then slipped on his headphones.

"Thanks for sitting with me. I can't stand Michael sleeping on planes and Ashton is being... difficult," I told him.

"Well, I don't mind. Michael is the worst plane buddy," he smiles and then leans his head back. I'm glad he didn't ask about Ashton. I don't want to talk about it. I plug my headphones in and after a little while, all the boys are asleep. I lean over on Luke's shoulder to rest as the flight continues.