31: Home

The next couple of days went by in a blur or boredom and relinquished romantic gestures. After a boring day home by myself on Tuesday, the boys invited me to join them for a game of golf with the person they were writing with that day. I got into my white shirt that was lace in the top-back and my black skirt covered in white daisies. Daisy actually joined us in her professional-looking outfit of a white skirt and a white polo. She and Luke were having the time of their life as he wrapped his arms around her waist to help her with her swings. Ashton was pretty good at golfing and so was Calum but Michael and Luke weren't so much. I sucked too. Athleticism doesn't run in the family apparently. Ashton at one point tried to point out how I should swing, but other than that he didn't say word. He must have been in a sour mood. He didn't come in my room that night. I waited and texted him, but he never talked to me for the rest of the night. He called me from wherever they were recording the next day and apologised. The conversation went something like this:

"Hey."

"Hey. I'm sorry for being such a downer yesterday. I had a tough day."

"That's okay."

"I headed for bed early I was really tired."

"I saw that."

"Yeah so it's raining here."

"Really."

"Yeah. Looks like it should be coming towards your way. We might have rain tonight."

"Alright."

"Payson, cheer up!"

"I'm just tired," I mocked him.

"Oh come on, Payson. I really was tired. I didn't mean to upset you."

"Are you alone? Like are you outside?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because this is turning into a fight."

"This is not a fight," he sort of growled. This was going to be a fight.

"I'm-- There is just a lot of things going on in my mind right now."

"Tell me," he said, soothingly.

"I don't really wanna talk about it. I think I'm going to take a nap," I told him with a sigh.

"Don't go because of me."

"It's not you! We've both had a couple of rough days and we're tired. It's not a big deal!"

"You couldn't have had a rough day sitting at home. I know you just want to hang up because you're mad. Now tell me what's wrong!"

"Nothing. And I don't just sit at home."

"Oh. That's right you watch TV and play video games. Such a hard day," he sneered.

"Shut up! I do do things! You're just too blind to see! You're so ignorant!"

"You're the ignorant person! And I can see you don't do anything! You never do!"

"Ashton! I'm so done right now. I knew this was going to be a fight," I mumbled and then terminated the call.

Then I took a nap. When they got home, it was raining outside, like Ashton said, and no movie could cure the boys' boredom.

"Let's go play tag," I suggested.

"It's raining," Ashton argued.

"So," I narrowed my eyes at him.

"We'll get sick," he told me.

"Suck it up, scaredy cat."  I stood up and took Michael's hand. He was hesitant but only because he was shifting his glance between me and Ashton's argument. We then all went out in the rain and Ashton was called 'not it' first and we all ran. It turned out to be freeze tag and so first Michael was frozen, then Luke, then Calum, and Ashton just had to chase me. It wasn't a childish chase around the yard, it was dash like monster and civilian. He finally kept running me down the street, away from the boys and I soon felt as though I was running from my feelings rather than physically Ashton.

"I'm sorry, peach," he yelled from behind me. I remember what we were fighting about in the first place and I stopped and froze. He stopped too but didn't touch me, just stood in front of me, letting the rain fall endlessly upon our faces.

"I'm taking a class," I told him, practically yelling over the heavy rain.

"On what," he shouted back.

"Video editing."

"You're dream."

"Yeah. I think I might take English when I get home."

"I sometimes forget about home."

"I don't. I miss it a lot."

"I don't miss it because my home it right here."

"You consider LA your home?"

"I consider you my home." I stopped talking. I couldn't speak when his lips were against mine. It was nice. Kissing in the rain. You didn't need to care about getting sick or being cold and wet. All you needed to care about was the person in front of you and how warm and passionate it all felt. He let me go and grabbed my hand.

"We better unfreeze the lads." He led me back to the house and as I walked, looking at him from the side and feeling our hands intertwined, I didn't miss home anymore. The night was quiet. We laid in my bed, still warm from our showers and nothing was needed to be said. Everything felt right at home.