34: Pup

The next morning everyone was lugging around except for Ash. Cal and Mike were hungover, Michael a lot more. Luke was in a depressed state because of Daisy, obviously he overthought it and psyched himself out of calling her. I was exhausted. Ash was still bouncing around, making as much noise as possible to annoy the boys and it woke me up.
"Ash," I moaned coming down the stairs and he was sliding across the floor in his white socks, large tee, and sunglasses, singing along to "I Like That Old Time Rock and Roll" like from Risky Business. I laughed and he stopped, smiling real big at me.
"Payson! Join me, love," he souted and I moaned, walking past him but he just spun me back and dipped me with a squeal escaping my mouth. I scowled at him.
"Ashton. Turn. The music. Down!" Michael was yelling from the couch with a pillow over his eyes. Ash just laughed and let me stand up.
"What's got you in a sour puss mood," he asked me, turning the music down slightly.
"I'm just really tired from last night," I told him, going for the eggs and them turning the stove on. I turned on the coffee machine and then took a mug out from the pantry. We only had two. I cracked a couple eggs in a bowl and scrambled them, making breakfast. I put in five eggs and cooked them while Ashton kept dancing around sillily. I watched him and laughed a couple times at his ridiculous dancing. He came over to me while the coffee was getting poured into the mug and the eggs were cooking. He snaked his hands around my waist and I looked over at Michael who still had the pillow over his face. I looked back to Ashton and he was smiling.
"What," I laughed.
"See? You aren't in a bad mood anymore," he smiled and it was contagious.
"You always make me happy," I told him, pecking his lips quickly. Luke just looked over at us and rolled his eyes. I turned around and stirred the eggs a bit. They finished cooking and I served three plates and set them on the table. Then I got the coffees and sat at the table with Luke.
"Michael! Breakfast is ready," I yelled as loud as I could and he moaned loudly, sitting up and looking at me with a narrowed stare. He was mad but he sat at the table anyway.
"I made you coffee," I whispered and he smiled, sipping it.
"Okay, we're off. See you later," Ashton yelled, heading to the front door with a sluggish Calum next to him. Before he left, he blew me a kiss and I pretended to grab it from the air. Michael was just scarfing down the eggs and sipping his coffee but he groaned to the sudden noise. Luke was just picking at his food, his phone sitting close to his plate. I finished and then set the dishes in the sink. I went back upstairs to change into presentable clothes. I slipped into my tree jumper and some black shorts and brushed out my hair, laying it flat. The blonde roots were starting to show. I heard music coming from downstairs but it wasn't coming from the stereo. It was live. I walked down to see what it was and I saw Luke sitting on the couch, playing on his guitar and singing.

I remember the day you told me you were leaving
I remember the makeup running down your face
And the dreams you left behind you didn’t need them
Like every single wish we ever made
I wish that I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about the stupid little things
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you
And the memories I never can escape
‘Cause I’m not fine at all

He stopped suddenly, looking up at me with watery eyes. I rushed over to him, throwing my arm around him in a hug. He let out a long breath and I just rubbed his back.
"I'm sorry. It was a good song though," I told him, quietly.
"Thank you. It just came out after what happened with Daisy," he told me and we sat back down on the couch. "I can't stop thinking about her. What am I going to do?"
"How about instead of you stressing over this, I go talk to her and see her side of it for you. Maybe convince her to take you back."
"You would do that for me," he lightened up.
"Of course. As long as you keep working on that song. I hear a hit in that," I smiled and took out my phone. I called Daisy and asked if she and I could get together today. She agreed with a sigh and we agreed to meet at her house. I took one of their cars and drove to her house, the tune still playing in my head. It was a cute little condo house and I walked up to the front door. She let me in and we sat in the kitchen, she getting me a glass of water. I usually wouldn't ask for one but I needed to stay here awhile. She looked sad, almost as sad as Luke. We talked about my experience at the party last night but we eventually ran out of things to say after she asked me how Ashton was.
"I'm sorry about what happened with Luke."
"You're not here to try and get us back together are you? Because I already had Mandy come complaining he was too big of a catch to let go. I don't need another speech."
"No no no. But since we are on the topic, what is your side to the story. Objectivity makes people pick sides and I don't want that. So tell me, what happened?"
"Well," she trailed off, explaining her side of the story. She has had three relationships in the past that were long distance from San Francisco to Texas to Oregon and they all ended really badly from cheating. She explained that she didn't want that with Luke because she really liked him. I told her I agreed that long distance was hard and then I told her about Christian.
"How did you even survive two years with out meeting each other at all," she asked and I just told her what I told Luke.
"Distance is just a test to see how far love can go."
"Wow, you must have really loved him. What happened," she asked, leaning over her chair.
"Um," I didn't really quite understand it myself. I did know that I really just didn't love him but I couldn't tell her that after she asked so I just said, "He just wasn't quite who I thought he was. But I think that was because it was over the internet but you've met Luke and have gone out and he comes back here a lot so you have nothing to worry about. Plus, Luke is too big of a romantic to ever cheat on you. He has a clean record."
"Hm, I guess you're right. Australia is just so far away. How would I know he isn't lying."
"Because I would always tell you the truth.  And the truth is that Luke is sopping around at home, writing a song about how sad he is over you. So, I have no doubt that he is a good guy. Maybe even too good. Now I'm questioning my choice in Ashton." She laughed and I smiled at her.
"Don't you take my man," she warned me.
"Does this mean you'll take Luke back?"
"It means I'll think about it."
"Good," I smiled. "Well, it was lovely chatting but I must go. I have a hungover cousin and a lovesick puppy to take care of at home."
"Thanks for coming here and not begging."
I laughed and said, "I'm just glad I didn't have to. I had a great time. Thank you and I'll call you later."
"Okay. Good bye." I walked out the door and drove back home, stopping to get more hair dye on the way back. Michael was still in his room, sleeping and Luke was outside playing on his guitar. I made Michael some soup and woke him up so he could eat it. He looked much better than before. After, I went back into my bathroom to fix my roots. When I got out of the shower, I had two missed Face Times from Ash. I threw on my clothes again and called him back while I was drying my hair. He picked up and there was lots of laughing. He was smiling really big and when he saw me, his eyes widened.
"Where you just in the shower," he asked.
"Yeah. That's why I didn't pick up." Calum joined in to the side.
"You should have," he smirked. "Then it could be like I was right in there with you."
"Stop flirting with Michael's cousin," Calum hit Ashton. He had no idea, I thought to myself.
"It's fine, Cal. I'm used to it," I was blushing. "So, why'd you call."
"Because you have to see these," he smiled and there was motion before he flipped to camera over to Calum who was playing with two little puppies.
"Aw, how cute," I smiled. "I want you to hold them, Ash. I'll take a picture."
"Okay," he said and then the camera was looking up at the celling and there was movement before the camera got picked back up and I could see Ash with the puppies in his arms.
"Pose," I yelled and he smiled at the camera. I took a screenshot and I smiled. The camera was given back to Ashton and Calum joined the frame.
"Okay. We should be leaving soon. See you at home," Ashton laughed and blew me a kiss. Calum looked over at him, quizically, and the call ended. I laughed and looked at my pictures. I set the puppy picture as my home screen and went down to find Luke. He was outside so I joined him on the patio couch and just listened to him play until the boys got home. We ate spaghetti and carrots this time for dinner, Ashton insisting on making dinner and Cal joining him. After dinner, everyone was exhausted from the day. Mike and Cal went straight up to bed. Luke was slugging around, still no call from Daisy yet. I just reassured him and told him to be patient. Ashton and I went up and he joined me after awhile.
"So, how was Luke today," Ashton whispered.
"Still bummed about Daisy. I talked to her today. She was just scared that, like her past long distance relationships, Luke would cheat on her."
"Oh, no. He's too much of a romantic to cheat on her."
"That's what I told her so she said she'll think about it. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Speaking of, what's the plan?"
"Oh. Today was our last day of studio in LA. Tomorrow everyone is home to kind of say good bye for a bit and pack before we go home."
"Cool. I hope Michael feels better by then and Luke won't be so sad. I want a good last day."
"I can't believe tomorrow is practically our last day in LA."
"Yeah, but it'll be nice to be back in Oz."
"Yeah. So, I'm guessing you didn't tell Michael today or I would have a black eye."
"Um, no. But I want to now! I just didn't think it was fair to tell him while he was all hungover. Plus, I was gone for awhile."
"Okay," he stated simply.
"Did you tell Calum," I asked, thinking of the last image on our video call.
"Um, no but I did say we had some news for him tomorrow."
"Why don't we tell Michael now?"
"What?"
"I really don't want this to be a secret anymore. I can't take it."
"Me neither but-"
"Why can't we just knock on his door and start snogging right in his doorway.
"Um, well. One, that's really a weird idea but I wouldn't mind snogging, wherever it may be. Two, I don't think he will appreciate that and I may get hurt more than I wish to."  I laughed and then wrapped my arm around him.
"Tomorrow then?"
"Um, do you really want to ruin our last day with a big fight? Let's just tell him before we board the plane so he has time to cool off and no one will get hurt. Okay?"
"Okay. That's sound fine. But Calum can know tomorrow."
"Perfect," he smiled and we dozed off with the hope of spilling our secret.