36: Secrets Don't Make Friends

I woke up the next day, Ash still lying by my side. I couldn't bare making him leave this last day. It was about seven now and there was some quiet shuffle coming from the other rooms. I rubbed his chest and then placed a kiss on his lips and his eyes flickered open with a smile. The morning sun made him look like he was glowing. He pulled me back down and kissed me again.

"Morning, muffin," I smiled.

"What time is it?"

"Seven," I told him.

"What? I have to get back to my room. How come you didn't wake me?"

"I couldn't let you leave on the last day."

"Aw, but Michael will--" There was a banging on his door.

"Ashton. Wake up," Ashton ran over to the balcony and tried to pull the door open quickly but he ended up breaking it and jamming the door. He mumbled something to himself.

"Just go out there. I can pick your door lock," I told him and followed him quietly out my door. We stopped tiptoeing suddenly when Michael was still standing at his door and then looked over at us with wide eyes. I knew what he saw: Ashton and I sneaking out my bedroom door with messy hair in the morning. I also knew what he was thinking.

"Um, Ashton. What were you doing in there?"

"I-I was just talking to Payson," he stuttered.

"I'm pretty sure there wasn't much talking," he replied.

"Michael. It isn't--" I started.

"Quiet. You are just as much to blame. Did you two--"

"No, we haven't. I swear. Michael, believe me."

"Haven't as in you were planning on it," Michael questioned and Ashton looked over at me with a faint smile.

"What?"

"Oh, save it. I had my suspicions. First I thought it was Luke but now Ashton. I can't believe you lied to me. Again." Tears started to come to my eyes and Ashton came right to my side, wrapping his arm around me. "I can't believe you two."

"Michael," I yelled.

"Mate, just let it go. It's out now. Let's not fight," Ashton told him, calmly. Calum was outside his room now.

"Three weeks," Calum told him. Thanks a lot, Calum.

"Three freaking weeks?! Right under my nose! How dare you," Michael yelled.

"Well, if you weren't so protective," Ashton started.

"I wouldn't be so scared to tell you," I finished.

"What? I'm just looking out for your best interests! I'm not going to let this idiot hurt you!" Luke and Daisy were standing outside of Luke's room. Everyone was here to watch.

"I would never hurt Payson. Ever."

"Oh yeah? Will you say that after you spend tour apart? I know you Ash and I don't think you're good enough for my cousin!" Ashton stood up and punched Michael square in the jaw.

"I will never hurt her, but I will hurt you," I grabbed Ashton's shoulders back before he could make another bad decision. Michael stood up again, wiping his mouth.

"You guys are definitely done with. I never want you seeing each other again after today." I let out a squeak. I couldn't say anything as I swallowed back as many tears as I could.

"You can't make us break up," Ashton yelled.

"Oh yes I can. I know you Ash, and you will hurt her. Maybe not today, but you will."

"I will never hurt her! How many times do I have to tell you!"

"You can tell me as many times as you like but that won't make me believe you."

"I love her," he shouted at the top of his lungs. I stopped crying, looking up at him in shock. Was that true?

"You don't even know her! It's been three weeks!"

"She is my best friend. How do I not know her?"

"Because I haven't told you everything," I said, my voice wavering.

"What," he looked at me. "You only know what I told you."

"But you love me. How come you haven't told me everything," he asked, his eyes becoming glossy.

"Because I don't love you," I told him. He inhaled loudly and stopped.

"What," she breathed out after a bit.

"I don't yet. I could. I will but I can't love you until I tell you everything."

"Then tell me!"

"No! I - I can't," I mumbled, looking at the floor.

"Why can't you? All you can say is you can't! You can't! You can't! You can't what?!"

"Ashton. Stop," I demanded.

"No! I love you and if that isn't enough for you to tell me the truth then I don't know what is." He rushed off downstairs.

Michael came to my side and said, "See? He will only hurt you." I pushed him away and slammed the door to my bedroom. I locked my door and threw myself under the covers. Tears spilled out of my eyes. I just ruined another relationship.

Ashton's PoV:

We were on our way to the airport now. No one has said a word. Daisy came along to say goodbye to Luke, but I don't think anyone has a happy vibe right now. What wasn't Payson telling me? I couldn't understand how she could keep things from me even when I told her I loved her? I love her. I really do and saying it now makes it all seem more real. It was heartbreaking though when she said she didn't love me. Like, I could literally hear cracking in my chest. I looked over at Payson who was sitting on the opposite side as Calum. She was so beautiful. Everything about her was and even though I am really mad, I still love her and I will always love her. I hope she can see that because there was a little voice in the back of my mind the very first time I saw her, standing at our first concert with the twelve people, that told me "I could love this girl with all my heart". I remember it like it was yesterday. She had a white tee on with marker on it that said, "5SOS is lame." I laughed as she jumped around, watching Michael. I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I really hoped that I would see her again and to be here now is something I would have never imagined. The airport was in sight and a silent 16-hour flight is not exactly how I was planning to spend my last day with Payson. I knew we had a couple weeks before tour but we did live in two different cities and, no matter how close, it was too far to be away from my Peach. There were plenty of fans to distract me from this at the airport but we were already cutting it short to our flight so we had to rush through and get on the plane. Luke said good bye to Daisy and they kissed for a long time, long enough to make me jealous. We got in the plane and Luke took the side two seats with Payson and Calum sat between Michael and I in the middle. The plane took off I just thought about the song I wrote for her. I pulled out my iPod and played it on repeat.