38. Is This Love

"You're pulling down my walls like you're my only sun; you're the one to blame, you hold a smoking gun, so take your aim and shoot."

Song: Is This Love

Artist: James Arthur

A loud clang jolted me from my sleep, the metallic sound followed almost immediately by a loud curse that escaped before he managed to stifle it. A quieter series of clanging and swearing followed, and I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion. It took me a second to realize where exactly I was, the happy blur of everything that had happened last night still managing to cling to it's occluding grip on my brain.

The white comforter was tucked tightly around me in the empty bed, the fabric of his sheets soft on my bare body. I was tucked in so snugly that it was almost hard to move, the tightness of the sheet and duvet around me unnatural. I giggled quietly, suspecting Harry had tucked me after climbing out of bed so I wouldn't notice his absence as quickly. Sunlight streamed through the cracks in his blinds, but it couldn't have been that early because it was still a soft pinky-yellow. Yet another loud clash drew me from the cocoon I had been trapped in, heat escaping the moment I broke the tight confines.

I clutched the sheet to my body as I searched the ground for my clothes before giving up and digging a pair of Harry's shorts and a t-shirt from his dresser. I didn't want to bother with my jeans anyway.

I opened the door quietly, hoping to get a clue of what the hell he was doing out here before making myself known. Almost instantly, the acrid scent of something burning stung at my nostrils and my face pinched up in distaste as it tried to ward of the smell. I couldn't help the suspicious grin that pulled at my lips as I suspected what he was doing.

My feet padded noiselessly down the hallway, the floor boards cool beneath my toes. The putrid scent only grew stronger as I got closer to the kitchen and my suspicions were confirmed. I poked my head around the corner slowly and saw him standing in just a pair of boxers with his back to me. His hands were placed on his slim hips as he frowned at the ground and muttered a few curse words.

On the floor was probably every pot or pan he owned, the cupboard they had apparently fallen out of wide open while something indecipherable burned to a crisp on the stovetop. I put my fingers over my mouth to stifle my giggling. I could tell by the hunch in his back and the way his muscles flexed that he was annoyed, but I couldn't help but find him adorable as he tried and failed to cook breakfast.

As quietly as I could, I crept into the kitchen. His body tensed but instantly relaxed when I slid my hands around the small of his back before wrapping around his torso. My lips pressed into the soft skin covering his shoulder blade as his hands covered mine automatically.

"Morning," I said, trying not to sound as giddy as I felt. I didn't want him to think I was laughing at him.

"Good morning," he said. I could practically hear the pout in his voice.

"What are you doing?" I asked casually. He wove his fingers between mine as they covered his stomach. His skin felt so comfortably warm to me and I was a little disappointed I had missed waking up to it.

"Nothing," he grumbled, nudging a pot with his toe. I smiled again and rested my forehead against his skin as I tried to reign it in.

"It looks like you were trying to make breakfast," I observed after I'd gathered myself. He sighed heavily before turning around in my arms, keeping them looped around his waist as his elbows rested on my shoulders lazily. He seemed even taller than usual since we were both bare footed. Something about him not wearing a shirt made him seem even lankier than usual.