40. Wires

"I can hear it in your voice while you're speaking... you can't be treated."

Song: Wires

Artist: The Neighbourhood

Sleep evaded me all night, despite how comfortably I was wrapped up in Harry's arms. My heart was too full and the buzzing through my veins had yet to diminish, the constant elation keeping me wide awake. I couldn't remember ever feeling so perfectly happy as I had when Harry had told me he loved me. It was, without a doubt, the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard, even when he'd gotten adorably exasperated with my disbelief.

Harry loved me, and I loved him.

I was certain I had never felt more fulfilled in my entire life.

I was partially on my side, my cheek resting on Harry's chest with my arm slung across it. My stomach pressed against his side while his chest rose and fell slowly while he slept. I glanced at the clock and noticed it was nearly 3 am even though I wasn't tired. My chin rested lightly on my forearm as it covered Harry's chest. It wasn't often that I caught him sleeping, so I wanted to take advantage it.

He looked so beautifully peaceful with his eyes closed lightly and his lips parted. Soft breath blew between his perfectly full lips, matching the rhythm of his chest beneath my arms. His heart beat steadily beneath his ribs, the soft thudding of it palpable against my skin. His hair was pushed haphazardly off his face, the dark strands shoved in every direction in a beautiful mess.

My eyes fell to his shoulders where black ink stained his skin more often than not. The two sparrows on caught my attention first, their placement just below his collarbones the most striking. '17BLACK' was subjected to my gaze next before I took in the details of the 'A' on his shoulder. His tattoos were so mysterious to me, each one seemingly random and unconnected to the next. What could the three nails on the top of his bicep mean? What about the ship on the outside of his arm? And what could 'Can I cry' possibly mean?

I wanted to know the story behind every single one, wanted to know what it felt like to want something permanently inked into your skin, and wanted to know if he still loved something he once had enough to tattoo it to his body. So many questions flashed through my brain that I almost woke him up to ask him about them right then and there. My lips pressed lightly to the skin over his heart, the warmth of it passing to my lips before I pulled back and laid my head down again.

A soft grin spread across my features as his heart thudded quietly in my ear. Being here with him now, safely in his bed while he allowed me to see him at his most vulnerable, was the happiest I'd ever been. He had given himself to me completely now by admitting that he loved me, something that had surely taken immense amounts of courage and bravery. Considering he had zero experience in anything relationship related, he was doing so incredibly well.

I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

Hours later, I finally managed to fall asleep. It felt like minutes later when my alarm on my phone went off, waking me in time for my class even though I would have been more than content to stay tangled up with Harry for the rest of the day.

A quite grumble of complaint came from Harry as I blindly patted around for my phone. My face stayed pressed into Harry's neck where I had ended up, his arms wound tightly around my shoulders. His leg was crooked around my own, and one of my arms wound behind his neck, hopelessly tangling us together. Finally, my free hand found my screeching phone, my thumb sliding across the screen to turn off the alarm.

"Nooo," Harry mumbled, his voice almost hard to understand it was so deep.

"I know," I said, knowing that he was upset about me having to leave. So was I.