86. Serial Killer

"Said you know I love the thrill of the rush."

Song: Serial Killer

Aritst: Lana Del Rey

My arms crossed over my chest as I frowned at the overwhelming pile of stuff that had collected in my room.  It didn’t seem possible that I had gathered so much junk in my apartment, but the proof was right there in front of me.  I’d been trying to sort out what I could take to Harry’s and what could be left to be moved back to my parents’ house when Maggie appeared in the doorway.

“Oh, good, is any of this stuff yours?” I asked, barely glancing at her as I knelt down to start sifting through the pile.  She joined me and nudged a sweater with her toe gingerly as if it would attack.

“Um, I’m just gonna say no and stay out of it,” she laughed, her eyes widening at the sight.  My room had been completely destroyed in my efforts to organize things. 

“I can’t believe you’re moving out,” she said in disbelief.  I frowned as I pulled an unidentified power cord out of the pile before tossing it to the side.

“I know,” I agreed.  “And moving in with Harry. It feels so… permanent.”

“Honestly I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner. You were hardly ever here anyway,” she chuckled, throwing herself to sit on my bed on what little space she could find. 

“Me too,” I said lightly.  I was beyond excited to move in with him, just not so excited for all the moving.  I had far more stuff than I needed to bring with, but deciphering what was necessary was the tricky part.  Harry had been absolutely no help when I’d asked, telling me to ‘bring whatever you want.’

“How’d your parents take it?”

“Fine,” I said, shrugging.  “They were just relieved I wasn’t pregnant.”

Maggie burst out laughing, throwing her head back as she did so.  “Oh god, I bet. They’ve always been pretty chill though.”

I nodded in agreement as I started putting the pieces of clothing I dug from the pile into a suitcase.  All I really needed to bring was my personal stuff.  The rest could stay in the apartment until the end of the year when our lease ended and I could move it back home. 

“Hey, you don’t mind if Annie comes over, do you? I haven’t seen her in a while and we were gonna catch up on some TV,” Maggie said casually.

“No, I don’t mind.  Harry’s coming soon to help me pack but I don’t expect he’ll actually do a whole lot,” I laughed, certain he would plop himself on my bed just as Maggie had done.  I stuffed one final t-shirt into the suitcase I had now filled and zipped it shut just as I heard our front door open.

“Hello?” a voice called upon seeing no one right away.  It was Annie. 

“In here!” Maggie returned.  I kept sorting my things as I heard footsteps come down the hall, confusion sweeping through me when I heard two sets.  Had Harry also arrived?

“Ladies, long time no see!” a second voice said, now sounding from my doorway.  My jaw clenched automatically as I recognized the tone, anger seeping through my veins.  I turned slowly to see her leaning against the frame of my door, a casual smile pulled across her lips. 

Olivia.

I was on my feet before I even realized what was happening, my fists balling by my sides automatically as rage bubbled in my stomach.

“What the hell do you want?” I asked furiously. 

Images of her coming on to Harry flashed through my mind in a furious blur.  Her hand on his forearm, her lips at his ear, her body pressing into his.  Things I had seen ages ago the first time she tried and things I conjured from what Harry had told me haunted me now as I glared at her, attempting to melt her with my gaze.