73. Stay With Me

"I don't want you to leave. Will you hold my hand?"

Song: Stay With Me

Artist: Sam Smith

(Listen to the song- A-ma-zing.)

I awoke before Harry did, the overly warm temperature of our bodies together waking me. Normally it didn't bother me, but I'd gotten so used to feeling cold while I slept that his renewed warmth would require a little readjusting. Harry was curled around me, my back pressed tightly to his chest while his arm wound around my waist. After his nightmare, he had finally managed to fall back asleep for good, hanging on desperately too me as if clinging to reality.

It had taken a little while to calm him down, but eventually my soothingly reassuring words had penetrated the thick haze of doubt around him to allow him to sleep. He had never let go of me for a single second, his lips finding my skin whenever they could while his arms held me to his chest. I had never felt so needed and it felt good to be a source of comfort for him. There was so little I could do for him that every little bit of me I could give to him, I would.

My fingers traced patterns across the back of his arm that was wound around me and I noticed that his skin was hot, too. His breath was warm as it tickled across the skin on my neck, and I could feel the light beating of his heart through his chest against my back. I was practically sweating with the combination of the blankets and his body heat, but I couldn't find it in me to move. The comfort of his body against mine far outweighed the unpleasantness of overheating.

Sunlight was just starting to stream through the curtains, indicating morning had finally come from after what seemed like a never-ending night. I hoped he would manage to sleep for a few more hours. My eyes drifted closed, sighing in contentment as I melted back into him to try and get a few more hours of sleep myself. The warmth of Harry's contact had nearly pulled me under again when his phone vibrated loudly on the bedside table next to us, jerking him violently from his blissful reprieve.

He sucked in a breath as he awoke, his arms automatically tightening around me at the sudden sound. My eyes were wide open as he shifted slightly, releasing an arm from around my waist to reach for his phone. I twisted in his grip, turning my body to face his so I could see his face. He glanced at me apprehensively as he looked at the screen of his phone before sliding his thumb across it to answer.

"Hello?" he said. His voice was thick with sleep and deeper than ever. I listened carefully but it was hard to make out the words on the other end of the phone. His face twisted to a frown almost instantly, and he paled slightly as he listened. I wound my arm around his waist to hold him tight to me while I leaned forward to press a light, reassuring kiss to his chest.

"Yeah," he said. His eyes found mine and held my gaze as he listened. His brows were pulled tightly together with concern. My heart pounded with nervousness; I knew whom it must be that was calling.

"Tomorrow? Already?"

I felt the blood drain from my face as he spoke but tried to hide the apprehension I was feeling since his gaze was still locked on mine. I didn't want to worry him any more than he already was.

"No."

He blew out a soft sigh as he watched me lean forward again to kiss his skin once more. I let my lips linger on the warm surface, and I could feel the heavy pounding of his heart beneath his ribs. He was nervous.

"No... I'll need one," he said slowly. I pulled back to look up at him once more, his face as concerned as ever as he held his phone to his ear. His gaze locked on mine again as I raised a hand to push the hair off his forehead, stroking it back as gently as possible.