78. Anthem For The Underdog

"You say you know just who I am but you can't imagine what waits for you across the line."

Song: Anthem For The Underdog

Artist: 12 Stones

Harry’s POV

“You’re making me nervous, Harry.”

My grip tightened on the wheel, blanching my knuckles under my skin as I drove.  I glanced at Halle out of the corner of my eye before diverting my gaze back to the road. 

“Sorry,” I muttered.  I was on edge and much more tense than I had anticipated.  What had started out as a light and carefree drive had somehow morphed into a tense, anxiety filled ride as we neared my hometown.  I couldn’t exactly pinpoint why I was so nervous, only that I was.

“Just relax,” she said soothingly, reaching across the console to place her hand above my knee.  I blew out a deep breath and tilted my head to the side, stretching the tight muscles in my neck.

“Besides,” she added with a light laugh. “You’re the one who’s supposed to be reassuring me.”

“They’ll love you,” I said honestly.  I was nervous for a lot of unknown reasons, but them not liking Hal wasn’t one of them.  How could someone not like Hal?  She was absolutely perfect. 

“Then why are you so nervous?” she asked gently, squeezing my leg. 

“I don’t know.”

“It’ll be fine,” she said calmly.  I nodded in reply as I continued to drive, our scenery growing more and more familiar as I drove through the neighborhood I grew up in.  “What’s the plan again?”

“Going to my mum’s house now to meet with her, Gemma, and my stepdad then my dad will join us for lunch,” I replied stiffly.  We were only a few houses away now. 

“Got it,” Halle said.  I flexed my hand on the steering wheel, releasing my death grip enough to bring my hand down and place it over Halle’s to squeeze gently.

“Just remember how much you love me if this gets weird,” I warned, managing the tiniest of smiles in her direction. 

“Like I could forget,” she said with a breathtaking smile.  My attention was diverted once again as we arrived at my childhood home.  I parked my car in the street, turning off the engine as I blew out a deep breath. 

“Here we go.”

“Here we go,” she repeated, her tone significantly lighter than my own.  I turned to her and squeezed her hand to see her reassuring smile, which managed to lift a bit of the tension I was feeling.  “Let’s go.”

I nodded, obliging her request as I stepped out of the car, meeting her on the other side to take her hand immediately in a show of solidarity.  I pulled her toward the house, not pausing to give myself the opportunity to change my mind.  I really did want her to meet them, after all, even if I didn’t know exactly how it would go. 

My heart hammered annoyingly in my chest as we arrived at the door, and I was suddenly unsure of what to do.  Should I knock or just go in?  I was saved from my inner debate when the door swung open suddenly, revealing the beaming face of my sister, Gemma.  I hardly had time to release Halle’s hand before I was fully engulfed in a hug, her body slamming roughly into mine.

“Harry!” she cheered.  Her arms were so tight around my neck she was practically choking me.  I hugged her back as best I could before she released me enough so I could take a breath.