55. Alleyways

"Everything I wanted would become anything I ever loved, I remember."

Song: Alleyways

Artist: The Neighbourhood

“Wait, so is he the bad guy or not?” I asked, confusion flooding through me as I attempted to understand the movie Jay had insisted we watch.  It was a typical boy movie, the title long forgotten and full of fights, car chases, and intense gunfire exchanges.  With all the chaos, I was having difficulty keeping the characters separate.  As far as I could tell, there were no good characters in this movie.

“We don’t know yet,” Jay chimed in.  His body was sprawled across the couch, his eyes riveted by the screen.  He’d seen the movie and couldn’t even remember, it seemed. 

“Just don’t ask questions,” Harry advised, chuckling softly as he hugged me to his chest, his arms still wound around my stomach.  We were still folded together in the armchair, my body relaxed now thanks to his generous touch.  I leaned back lazily against him, my head resting on his shoulder while his settled next to mine.  Every once in a while his lips would find my cheek in a light kiss, earning a wide grin from me.  My fingers trailed lazily down the sides of his legs, my nails dragging lightly over the fabric of his jeans.

I loved everything about this- cuddling together on the chair, hanging out casually with Jay, doing nothing really but still having a good time.  Jay had entertained us by demanding we watch this movie, swearing it was better than it sounded.  I honestly didn’t care what we did as long as I got to be with Harry. 

“Dude, that girl is so hot,” Jay said suddenly as the lead actress finally succumbed to the main character.

“Oh yeah, Jay?” I asked in amusement, an idea coming to mind. 

“Yeah, seriously,” he said distractedly.  He was too enthralled with what was happening on the screen to really pay attention to me.

“You know who else is hot?” I asked lightly, a mischievous grin pulling at my lips.  I could feel Harry’s lips shift to a smile against my cheek as well, easily catching on to my train of thought.  While he had stopped drinking when I’d arrived, Jay had carried on brazenly.  His words became more and more slurred and his thoughts poured unfiltered from his mouth.

“Who?” he asked interestedly.

“Maggie.”

My grin was wide as I leaned forward slightly to see his face react.  His eyes widened as his jaw fell open before snapping shut again, cutting off whatever he’d been about to say.

“I know what you’re doing,” he mumbled, his words running together.  Harry chuckled before tightening his arms around me and pulling me back to him.  I frowned in exaggeration at my failed attempt to get him to admit anything.

“I’ll have to tell you about that later,” Harry whispered in my ear.  I grinned, curious to know what they could have talked about.

“Okay,” I said, wrapping my arms over his and shrugging against him. 

“I can hear you two whispering over there,” Jay grumbled, shooting us a glare.  “Stop talking about me.”

He sounded like a petulant child, whining about being left out on the playground.  I couldn’t help but laugh. 

“For all the shit you’ve given me, you deserve it,” Harry rebuffed, his voice light with amusement.  I felt giddy from the light mood despite Jay’s griping.  It was clear he wasn’t serious, and I enjoyed every second of it.