82. I Won't Let You Go

"I won't let you go... so don't let go of me."

Song: I Won't Let You Go

Artist: Snow Patrol 

Breath was forced from my lungs as Anne’s arms tightened around me, hugging me so tightly I thought she’d never let go.  I’d never felt so openly welcomed into a family as I had over the past 24 hours.  Harry stood beside me, returning his sister’s hug as well as those of Tim and Mel while we prepared to leave. 

“Thank you guys so much for coming,” Anne said as she finally released me.  She beamed at me as she held me at arms length.  “You’ve made me so happy.”

“It was so amazing to meet you,” I replied.  I felt so oddly emotional after watching Harry with his godchildren all day so I wasn’t surprised when I felt tears stinging the back of my eyes.  My feelings were rolling tumultuously inside me, making me feel like I was actually overflowing. 

“Oh god,” Harry muttered, rolling his eyes playfully as he glanced at the two of us starting to tear up at the same time.  “Get yourselves together.”

I let out a watery laugh and swiped at my eyes.  To see Harry with his family had filled my heart so completely, cementing my belief that I would either be with him or no one for the rest of my life. 

“Harry, Harry!” sounded from the floor.  I glanced down to see two small children attached to Harry’s shins, their stubby little arms clinging to his legs as they tried to climb up to his arms.  He bent down and scooped them up once more, holding one in each arm.

“I gotta go, kiddos,” he told them.  They didn’t seem to register his words as they squirmed gleefully in his arms, content to be receiving attention from him once more.  All day, they’d scarcely left his lap, their little faces split into wide grins whenever he so much as tickled them. 

“See you soon, okay?” he said, kissing each of them on top of the head.  They giggled and squirmed some more, making it difficult for Harry to hand them off to Tim and Mel.  Their short arms reached out automatically, reaching for Harry as soon as he let go of them while they whimpered quietly.  He smiled sadly, as if already missing them.

“Come back soon, okay?” Anne said to Harry and I.

“I’ll see you again,” I promised.  “Soon.”

“Good,” Gemma piped up, moving to stand next to her mother and put a comforting hand on her shoulder.  She grinned at us widely. “Don’t think she’d make it if she didn’t get to see you guys now that she knows what’s going on here.”

“She’ll survive,” Harry said, shaking his head good-naturedly. “But we’ll come back soon, don’t worry mum.”

He moved toward the door, grabbing my hand and tugging me with him.  “Bye, everyone.”

“Bye,” I added, my eyes watering once again.  I really needed to get ahold of myself.  I waved in response to everyone else’s called goodbyes before Harry finally managed to pull me out the door into the evening air. 

Harry had already loaded our bags back into the vehicle and he kept his hand clasped in mine as we moved down the walkway.  He glanced down at me to see me trying to subtly wipe away my tears of happiness before letting out a quiet chuckle.  His hand released mine so he could throw his arm around my shoulder and haul me into his side, looping his arm around my neck to bring my head close enough for him to press a kiss to my temple while we walked.

“You sap,” he teased lightly, his voice gentle and quiet.  I gave a weak laugh in response, too overcome to try and hide my emotions.  I gripped his hand that hung over my shoulder and nestled into his side, taking comfort from his warmth.  We reached the car and Harry didn’t release me until he’d walked me to my door, which he opened for me.  I turned to back into my seat but paused before sitting down as Harry stood in front of me, blocking me in between the car, the door, and himself.  His hands rose to gently cradle my face as he looked down at me, a contented expression on his face.