-7-

Morgan POV-

"2:38 AM." I muttered as I picked up a broken bedside clock from the floor.

The professor looked up from examining mister Phelps's body. "Pardon me?"

I showed them the clock. "2:38 AM. That's when this clock broke and stopped, see?"Ciel walked over to me as I rested it back on the table next to Ciel's bed.

"That would be the clock I keep at my bedside." He informed me. I scoffed. "Yeah, no shit Sherlock."

He began to growl, but the professor stopped him by stepping in between us. "Mister Phelps likely dropped it amidst his throws of agony, seeing how it's broken."

I scratched my chin like Sherlock Holmes. "So that means Phelps died at around 2:38?"

"Yes."

I nodded at the professor's answer and lurched forward as an arm was wrapped around my neck.

"Say!" Lau started. "Instead of standing here holding court, why don't we go sit down and think the situation through? Over a nice cup of tea perhaps?"

Ran-Mao nodded and wrapped me in a side hug. Why me? Why do I have to be the one they like?

Ciel stared at my situation blankly for a moment before replying. "Quite right. Tanaka, show our guests to the drawing room. Morgan, help Bardroy take mister Phelps's body down to the cellar."

I nodded and did as I was told.

As we got to the cellar, I felt a lump begin to rise in my throat again at the sight of Sebastian's covered body. A hand rested on my shoulder.

"Hey, you ok?" Bard asked. I sniffled and nodded. He sighed and pulled me into a hug. "You never really been around death before, huh?" It was more of a statement than a question.

I nodded as tears began to stream from my eyes.

"I was a soldier." Bard began, still hugging me. "After a battle, I was the only one in my ranks to survive. That's when Sebastian found me and brought me to England."

"I was a sniper." I turned my head to find Mei-Rin and Finny coming down the stairs of the cellar. Mei-Rin's glasses were on top of her head, and I could see her eyes. She was actually very pretty. "I would work for anyone who would pay. I was about to kill a father, but couldn't. That's when Sebastian found me and brought me to the manor."

"I... I was a human test subject..." Finny muttered, staring down at his feet. "The doctors are the reason I'm strong... I... I killed them to escape... Mister Sebastian found me and took me in..."

My eyes were filling up with tears again and I stepped away from Bard. "My story is weak compared to yours'." I said, wiping my eyes. "I'm a foster kid... Before I was adopted permanently when I was eight, I would be abused, battered, neglected, or even beaten by the people who adopted me and sent me back. That's probably why I became a criminal street artist... But that was a long, long time ago. My life was good after that. The only reason I'm here is because I vandalized the manor. That's it. I'm nothing special. Sebastian didn't save me. So why is it that I feel so terrible?"

The tears began to spring from my eyes again and Mei-Rin gave me a hug. Finny joined her, followed by Bard.

"We gotta get back." The chef informed us. "We can't stay down 'ere while there's guests to serve." I nodded and felt something slip into my hand. I looked down, then up at Mei-Rin in shock. She had slipped me a gun. Why?

She looked me straight in the eye and said: "It'll make me feel better if you have something to protect yourself with." Finny and Bard nodded in agreement and I smiled. "Thanks guys."