Chapter 12 Rewritten

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but Phoenix

Staring out the window of the Hunter Association's airship, Phoenix stood between Gon and Kurapika, Leorio on the blonde's other side leaning back against the window. The four stood in silence as the airship moved through the clouds as they made their way to the Final Phase of the Hunter Exam.

'I wonder where Killua went,' Phoenix thought to herself when she noticed that Killua has slipped away from the four. She knew that Gon had realised that Killua went off on his own but let him go so she did too and stayed with the three boys she didn't see during the Fourth Phase.

"Pathetic," Leorio broke the silence with his muttering, gaining his friend's attentions. "I needed the two of you to do everything for me during the Fourth Phase," he was obviously talking to Kurapika and Gon so Phoenix turned back to the window but kept listening. "I promise I'll return the favour. So... thanks."

The two boys smiled at Leorio's embarrassment. Phoenix didn't know what happened during the Fourth Phase for Leorio to need to be thankful for anything but didn't ask, she knew that it wasn't the right time.

There was a noise that sounded like someone was tapping a microphone that echoed through the halls not letting either of the boys' reply. "I have an announcement for all applicants," Beans voice spoke to everyone. "The Chairman wishes to interview the remaining candidates. When your number is called, please come to the first reception room on the second floor. Then we will start with #44, Hisoka-sama," Beans finished.

Out the corner of her eye Phoenix noticed that when Hisoka was called in for his interview that Gon looked down, destressed. Turning her head, she looked at Kurapika, who was watching Gon with concern out the corner of his eye as well.

Choosing not to question the gloomy boy Phoenix sighed as she pushed away from the window. "What do you think the Chairman wants to know?" She asked them, wanting to take the unwanted attention off of Gon.

Leorio shrugged not having an answer, Kurapika looked thoughtful, looking for a logical answer and Gon looked at her gratefully, not knowing if she was taking the attention away from him on purpose or not but Phoenix gave him a subtle wink letting him know her motives.

The blond sighed frustrated, not come up with anything. "I'm not sure, it could be about anything at his point," he said before crossing his arms.

Phoenix nodded in acceptance not really expecting a definite answer. It wasn't until everyone else had been called in for their interview and she was sitting on the window ledge alone, leaning her back against the wall and staring out into the now setting sun that her number was called.

Finding the room was rather simple. Remembering the manners that Kurapika had drilled into her, she knocked and entered when the Chairman called her in.

The room was simple. It had a painting on the back wall behind where the Chairman was sitting on the floor. A pillow was on the floor for Phoenix to sit down on. There was a table in the middle of the room to separate the Chairman and the applicants he was interviewing.

Sitting down cross-legged Phoenix only had to wait a few seconds before the Chairman looked up at her.

"I'll just be asking a few questions to satisfy my curiosity." When the young girl nodded her consent, he began the interview. "First, why do you want to become a Hunter?"

"My main reason for wanting to become a Hunter is because I want to help Kurapika reach his goal. My personal reason is because I want to travel to new places and discover unexplored lands," Phoenix paused, hesitating for a second but the Chairman nodded encouragingly, pushing her to finish. "I don't remember my past from before I was eight and I'm not really interested in looking into it very thoroughly but I would like to know some of it so I'm looking for answers as well."