Chapter 1 - Attractive Band Members and Fish 'n' Chips

A/N: I wrote this story years ago and there are a few scenes in which the internalised misogyny I obviously held at the time really shows, particularly slut-shaming attitudes. I no longer align with those beliefs and I think I really did a disservice to Sophie's character so please take those scenes with a grain of salt. 

Remember girlies, you don't need to shame other women to lift yourself up x

"What's the point of us being in a relationship if I can't even trust you?"

The words hit me like a brick, even though I'd already anticipated them. A fresh stream of tears rolled down my face and when my eyes flickered up to meet his, I knew there and then that there was no going back.

"So what? That's it? We're over and done with, just like that?" I asked hesitantly. He stared at me for a moment.

"Yeah, I guess we are" he said coldly, before he looked away and started walk away from me.

"Nath, don't" I whimpered, in one last feeble attempt to change his mind. 

He didn't reply or even turn to look at me again; he just shook his head as he walked away across the grass.

I stumbled backwards until my back hit the trunk of the tree and my knees gave way beneath me. I sunk to the floor, pulling my knees into my chest and letting the sobs take over my body for the second time that night as I watched him leave.

Two and a half years later

"Small fish and chips please" the old lady in front of the counter asked.

"That's £3, love" Lucy, my boss, said, smiling politely as the lady gave her three £1 coins, "small fish and chips, Sophie"

"I'm on it" I replied, scooping some chips and a fillet of battered fish out of the fryer and placing them in the little polystyrene carton, handing it to Lucy. I checked the clock behind me, seeing it was one minute until I could have my break.

"Lucy, can I go for my break yet?" I asked as she wrapped up the portion of fish and chips in newspaper. She looked up at the clock and then down at my puppy dog face, before exhaling loudly.

"Please?" I whined, pouting at her.

"Go on then" She sighed.

"Thank you!" I practically skipped into the back of the chippy, pulling my blue apron and matching baseball cap off. 

No, my uniform isn't exactly fashion conscious, but yes, I have to wear it.

Okay, so let me fill you in on what's happened over the past couple of years. Nathan and I broke up, as you already know, because of... circumstances that I don't like to talk about, so I stayed at sixth form while he was starting up in his band. I passed my A-levels, but, unlike Chloe and Gabby, I didn't want to go to university, and couldn't afford it anyway. However, I did move to London with them, and we all share a flat now, which is pretty cool. Chloe is studying fashion at uni and Gabby is doing dance, both of which were pretty inevitable, and we live in a flat not far away from the campus.

And before you ask, yes, Gabby and Jack are still going strong. They don't always see each other as often as they'd like t, they still make it work.

To help them pay the bills, I work here, in the chippy a few blocks away from our flat, which is very handy. Not exactly glamorous, I know, but I need a job to live so I don't really have much choice at the moment. Whenever I get a break at work, I actually busk outside the chippy to earn a bit of extra money. My boss claims that it gets her more customers so she doesn't complain and I get to play my guitar and sing; what more could I ask for? I'd love for music to become my full time career one day, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, unless a miracle comes along.