Chapter 11 Part 1

Trey

Today, I felt sick and my stomach was killing me. My mom told me that Taylor was in the hospital last night and wouldn't be going to school today. I asked her what happened but she said everything but answer my question. I just decided on asking Taylor when I call her later on. I always look forward to meeting up with her during class and seeing her during lunch but I guess that won't be happening today. I walked in to Mrs. Booker's class with my headphones in my ears and made my way to a seat in the back of the class.

"Take your headphones out your ears, Mr. Scott," Mrs. Booker said to me in her thick country accent.

I pretended like I didn't hear her and laid my head on my desk, hoping to drown out her annoying voice and the chatter from the rest of the students.

"Mr. Scott, I'm not going to ask you again," Mrs. Booker said with her voice becoming more irritated.

I sucked my teeth and took out my headphones. I looked up at her annoyed face and chuckled at her expression. I laid my head down on my desk again and fell asleep. I began to hear familiar voices but I didn't know if I was dreaming or not.

"Trey! Wake up man," said a voice that sounded like Andre.

"What Dre?" I said sitting up with my stomach still hurting.

"Nigga, they told me you slept the whole class. And you were on your phone before that. Your ass gonna end up getting detention. Mrs. Booker left the room but we need to leave before she comes back. Let's go," he said pulling my arm to get up.

I nodded my head and got out my seat. We walked out of the class without seeing Mrs. Booker and I was glad, I didn't feel like dealing with nobody and definitely didn't feel like ending up in detention. Andre left after seeing his girl, Tatiana and told me he was gonna walk her to her class. I nodded my head and walked to my locker to get my things. As I was pulling my books out for my last class, I saw Erin talking to some random guy. He wrapped his hand around her waist and I felt my whole body tense up with anger. I pulled Erin's arm aggressively and released his grip from her waist.

"That's your girl, man?" he asked pointing at Erin.

"Yea, that's me," I said between clenched teeth still holding Erin's arm.

"My bad, bro," he said with a smirk on his face and walked off.

Erin pushed my hand off of her arm and glared at me. Her green eyes glowed with anger and I glared back with the same intensity.

"I don't give a fuck about your attitude. So you can glare at me all you want. I know we're on a break but damn," I said staring at her. 

She sucked her teeth and pushed me against the locker. She put up her middle finger and walked off. Why is the person you want the most have to be the person that gives you the most problems?

*** 

I walked in my house putting my keys on the hook by the door. I walked in the kitchen and began looking for a snack. I took a pack of popcorn out the pantry and put it in the microwave. My stomach was feeling a little bit better now and I all wanted to do was eat.

 "Javier, ven aqui!" Ma yelled loudly probably from her office/sewing room where she works on designs for her boutique.

Whenever she spoke to me in Spanish and called me by my middle name, she reminded me that I was half Cuban.  I rarely feel Spanish because we aren't close with my mom's side of my family. She's only close to my grandma.  Everyone wanted her to marry a Cuban man but she was in love with my father. No one on that side forgave her except Abuela. As a result, I was raised as a Black boy not like I had Cuban family. Ma taught me Spanish and cooks Cuban food but that's about it.