Chapter 19 Part 2

Tia

Angie told me that Shayla crashed into Shemari and that they are now both at the Emory Hospital in Midtown. A part of me is still upset about the whole situation with Shayla but another part of me wants to lie in his arms and just forget about all of it. I don't want to yell anymore and I don't want to cry anymore; I just want to be happy. I made my up my mind and decided I would go to the hospital and check on him. He would do the same for me if something happened. 

I put on a pair of yoga pants and a jacket to go over my knit top.  I stared at my reflection in the mirror for a while thinking about how I would have a little baby bump in a few months. There were no noticeable changes that I could see but my body felt different. I threw up this morning and felt extremely sensitive to anything that smelled liked lemons.  Weird shit, I know. I put my hair in a messy ponytail and picked up my Air Max by the door of my closet. I quickly stuffed my feet in my shoes, grabbed my keys and phone, and locked the door behind me.

I put on the radio to calm my nerves as I drove. When I finally got out of traffic and made it to the hospital, I ran in.

"What room is Shemari Grant in? I was told that he was on this floor," I asked the middle-aged white nurse.

"Baby, we're not letting anyone else back there. He's already got an entourage as is. You can check the bulletin over there for visiting hours," she said in a thick Southern drawl.

"M'am, I did not ask if I could go in his room. I'm going in the room regardless. What is the room number?" I asked growing increasingly more impatient.

"I can not disclose that information,"

"Bitch, if you don't-" 

I stopped myself midway into cursing her out as she stared at me speechless, obviously never encountering someone who could stand up to her. I rolled my eyes deciding not to bother with her and proceeded to find the room on my own.  I should've just called Shemari's mother, Ms. Grimes, which would've relieved me of the headache with the country nurse. Eventually, I found Ms. Grimes standing in a front of a hospital door that I assumed to be Shemari's. 

"Tia!" Ms. Grimes screamed excitedly as she rushed to kiss my cheek and squeeze me. 

"Hey Ms. G," I smiled back kissing and squeezing her as well. 

She caught me up on Shemari's condition and told me she needed to leave for a few hours but would be back later on. After hugging and kissing me one last time, she left.

 I walked in and saw the whole crew: B, Zay, Chevy, Quez, and Naya, Cole, and Niecy, three of Shemari's cousins. Quez was on his phone in the corner, Chevy was trying to get Naya's number, Niecy and Cole were sleep on the pull out bed, and Zay and B were leaning onto Mari's hospital bed and all three of them were speaking in hushed tones.

"Hey guys!" I spoke up over all of their commotion.

"Tia, come here," Quez said looking up from his phone.

"What, Quez?" I asked playfully annoyed.

"Never mind now since you got a little attitude or whatever. I was just gonna say Shemari thou-" Quez began to say.

"Nigga!" Chevy said cutting him off and throwing him a look.

Quez nodded knowingly and Chevy went back to his conversation with Naya. I looked back and forth at them skeptically and walked over to Mari and the rest of them by his bed.

"Ay, ma, what's good?" Zay said with a big ass smile putting his arm around my waist.

"Nothing much," I muttered and squeezed between him and B to get in the bed with Mari. Mari moved over a little to give me space as I snuggled beside him.