Prologue; Don't tell daddy

• Dedicated to our readers!

I looked down rubbing my hands up and down my thighs.

Nervous was an understatement of how i felt right now, it was already 11:24pm. The moon was shining on the windscreen of the taxi, highlighting my face in the rear view mirror. I looked to my left, seeing my own reflection in the window. My long blonde hair fell against my cheeks, contrasting perfectly with my hazel eyes. 

I honestly didn't know what to expect moving in with my dad. He was everything I wasn't. I mean, being busy until 11pm? Was that normal? This was the only time I could of came down. He'd be busy again tomorrow until late. I couldn't help but wonder what he was up to until this time, I'm normally asleep by now. I kind of feel like im just being left aside until he's not busy. If I had a daughter i'd not seen in years and knew she was coming to live with me, i'd take an entire week out of my 'busy' schedule to make her feel at home.

I miss her, my mum. She taught me how to give and earn respect, making me who i am today. I learned so much from her. I think I even started believing the rumours. The rumours that I was 'The golden girl'. The girl who couldn't do anything wrong and looked as-if butter would melt.  I didn't mind that, it was who my mum would've wanted me to be. It just kind of got to me how presumptuous people could be sometimes.

'Miss Cooper, your here'. I heard the muffled voice from outside the car door. I had'nt even realized the vehicle had stopped moving until i noticed the man in uniform stood inches away from me. The cold breeze swept past my legs as soon as the taxi driver opened the back car door and made me shiver slightly.

"Thank-you" I looked up towards him, smiling gracefully and pulling my suitcase from behind me. He shut the door as i got out and waited for me to pay him. I pulled out a twenty pound note and handed it over to him. 

"Thank-you ma'm" he responded before getting back in the Taxi and driving off, leaving me looking up at the house i was going to spend the entire summer in until i could find a place of my own. I looked it up and down, scanning it over with my eyes. The house was a decent size and looked rather modern. It was mainly white and had maroon wall decor. I started walking up the pebbled pathway towards the front porch clutching the handle of my suitcase. 

Should i knock or just walk straight in? I thought. Obviously knock. I mean, i know he's my father and all but we hardly know each other really.

Before i could decide the door opened for me and there stood the man i called my father. He waited staring at me with his shirt un-buttoned showing off his chest. He had a cigarette lit in his mouth and inhaled it deeply as though contemplating whether i was actually the little girl he last saw two years ago.

He ruffled a hand through his dark messy hair before giving me a huge welcoming smile. A feeling of relief came over me as his arms opened wide expecting me to run up to him, so he could embrace me closely. Which is exactly what i did. I felt as though i was eight years old again and for some reason expected him to lift me up and spin me around like he did when i was a little girl. 

He sighed happily, looking at me with a glimmer in his eyes. He took all of me in, rubbing the stubble on his chin while he did so in disbelief. 

"You look tired sweetheart." He picked up my suitcase that i had dropped while giving him a cuddle. "Come on, I'll show you to your room. You can unpack and get yourself comfy." He smiled at me and wrapped his spare arm around my back, guiding me in to his house. 

"I'd really love that" i said looking up and smiling sweetly at the man i hardly even recognized anymore. As soon as i entered his house i got the feel of warmth. That inviting smell, you know? It was a little cluttered but not dirty. Everything was new. He had a huge flat screen TV hanging on the wall in the room to the right of me and a massive sofa to sprawl out on. Candles were lit and the decor worked perfectly with everything. It had a kind of feminine touch to it but not too much. There was still the empty pizza boxes on the kitchen table that just screamed 'man house.'