Chapter Twenty-Nine: Trying

We got to the front door of the house. Tyler stood prominently in-front of me as though he was protecting me from the spawn of Satan. He knew me and my dad didn't get along, he knew this was hard for me, he knew i'd be scared. And even though he'd been such a jerk an hour ago, he was being pretty sweet.

I stopped myself thinking before i continued. What the hell was wrong with me? Like seriously? This guy had just used me and then abused me and i was thinking he was 'sweet'. Lord Crystal, you need to get some sense girl.

I waiting tensely for my dad to open the front door after Tyler's knock. I could hear foot steps moving fast towards the other side of the door and froze, waiting for my dad's reaction.

He pulled the door back towards himself and gave off a half smile, looking straight past Tyler and in to my eyes.

'Crystal, your back. Come here.' he reached his arms out as Tyler stepped to the side, smiling at me. My dad wrapped his arms around me and squeezed me tightly. For some reason, this time he didn't smell like alcohol. Or cannabis, or.. anything really. Just like my dad. 'I was so worried about you. We need to talk about what happened.'

I nodded at him and smiled back, heading in to the house, ignoring Tyler completely.

When i entered, everything had changed. I'd been gone a few days and it was like coming back to an entirely different house. The kitchen was tidy, there were no dishes in the sink, the floor had been mopped, the mirror's were sparkling.

'Woah dad, you must of been busy, the place looks great.'

'Well with worrying about you so much, i didn't have any time or even want to 'enjoy myself' so i got stuck with the cleaning.. i mean, your mum always used to do it back when you were little so i just thought..' he trailed off and looked away sheepishly. I wrapped my arms around his waist and couldn't help myself from smiling. This was my dad. I had him back. It was all so fast and quick and all it took was him being away from Tyler for a while.

'Dad, thank-you. This really does mean a lot that you would do this just to make me happy.' I said as my head nestled in to his shoulder, smelling the fresh washing up powder from his shirt. He tapped my back and smiled at me again. It wasn't much, but this was the most bonding i had done with my dad in years. The only real time he had made me happy since my mum.

I walked upstairs to pack my stuff away with a constant smile on my face. When i reached my room i glanced in to Tyler's and noticed him putting more things in to his suitcase. I stormed past and walked in to my room, slamming the door behind me so he knew i had came upstairs.

And no doubt, minutes later i heard my door slowly creaking open. It was Tyler.

'Hey, you need a hand?' I shook my head and turned away from him. 'Come on, don't be mardy with me. I'm trying to make this work.' I pushed my self towards him, pushing a finger in to his abs.

'If you think for one second that this will ever work, your very wrong my friend. Now get the fuck away from me.' Tyler raised his arms in the air and lifted his eyebrows at me.

'Woah, woah.. okay. I'm going.' He turned away and left my room, looking back before he closed the door. I brought my hands up to my face and felt the instant tears pouring down my cheeks. I tried to hold them back, but i'd been trying for so long and they wanted out so bad! I leaned my back against the wall and slid my down it, ending up sitting on the floor and crying in to my hands. I grabbed a pillow to drown out my crying. I didn't want that jerk knowing he'd upset me this much.

*                                 *                                      *                                       *                  

'Crystal, your tea's ready!' my mouth dropped open. I put my book down and sat up on my bed. My dad. Cooking?! What the hell? I had to see this.

I charged downstairs and there he was, stood there with two plates in his hands. He handed me one over and winked.

'Dad, you cooked?' He looked away at the floor.

'Urm, well.. not exactly. I ordered it from the Italian parlour round the corner? But just for the record, i could so cook this.' he winked at me and shuffled away in to the living room. I chuckled and followed him, sitting on the seat furthest away to avoid any awkward situations. We both sat there eating our Italian food, watching the TV and somehow it felt like he had never taken a single drug in his life. I knew this must be killing him, so i had to break the silence.

'Dad, have you stopped taking drugs? Its okay if you haven't.' I said, pushing the food around on my plate.
'Yeah, i have.' he replied, looking ashamed.
'Really? Cause i know this must be really hard for you.'
'Okay, okay. I haven't stopped. I'm sorry. It's just gonna take some time and i don't know how long. But i haven't touched anything since last night and that was only -' I cut him off mid sentence.
'Dad! Your trying, that's all i want.' I smiled at him and watched as he smiled back, looking thankful. 'I'll help you get through this you know. You missed a lot about me while i was growing up, but i've learnt how to talk to people, how to give advice and be a friend. So if you need me, I'm gonna be here.'

I gave myself a mental tap on the shoulder for being the adult in our relationship and smiled at how brave i was being with my dad. How i'd gathered up the courage i have no idea, but i'd managed to talk to him properly. Like a full conversation! I was so happy, it didn't even feel like everything had happened with Tyler anymore. Then i remembered..

'Dad, where's Tyler?'
'He's just gone out for a while, doing some business i think.' Oh great i thought, he's actually out now buying drugs? Just when me and my dad had been talking about rehab. Ha, how ironic.
'Oh, okay.' I replied, smiling at him.

*                          *                                   *                                  *                             *

After tea and watching documentaries with my dad  i said goodnight to him and sauntered back in to my room. It was early but i knew he was dying for a joint and wouldn't of wanted to do it around me. Which i really respected in a way. I mean yeah, he won't stop straight away. It's gonna take months. But I'm gonna be here for him.

I flopped on to my bed and remembered how Tyler still wasn't in yet. I rolled my eyes at myself getting worried about him. He was probably out getting high, sleeping with fourteen different girls and running round the town centre naked. And did i care? Not the slightest. And was i a liar? The best.