Chapter Two

I really appreciate the comments, thank you so much!
___________________________

Carter's Point of View

I struggled in his grip, letting out a painful whimper as soon as he started to growl in my ear,

"Didn't your daddy and mommy ever tell you not to go into the tunnel?" I flinched as soon as his grip around my waist tightened even more. I glanced down at the flashlight in my hand, an idea coming to mind. I began to kick and scream although it came out muffled in his hand. "If you keep struggling I might just have to tie you down."

My eyes widened and I couldn't help but attempt to free myself from his grip. I raised my left foot, kicking it back, hitting the man-because let's face it, no woman's voice is that deep-in the groin. He pulled back, groaning in pain as it had finally allowed me to escape. So I ran the way I came in. I never looked back, because surely I couldn't see a thing in this dark tunnel.

I finally exited the tunnel, greeting no friends sharing devious laughs together. Pushing the confusion away, I continued to run down the dirt road leading to my neighborhood. With the wind running through my hair and the adrenaline pumping in my veins, I was so close to home. I passed a few houses. Their lights had already been shut off as they were tucked in bed. It was midnight and I should have been in bed too.

I stumbled upon my home, jogging up the driveway, running out of breath. I saw no car in the driveway, meaning my parents weren't even home yet. But, it's midnight? They only went out to an auction for my mother's job. She told me they would be back at around eleven, and if not, an hour later.

I shook my head, pulling out a spare key I shoved into my pocket earlier. I pushed it into the key hole and twisted it before opening the door. I closed it and quickly locked the door, leaning my back against it. I let out a big sigh, finally able to catch my breath. My heart was still erratically beating through my chest as I walked up the steps and into my room.

I decided on taking a warm shower to let my mind run over what I had just encountered. I grabbed a towel and my pajamas before I walked into the hallway bathroom. I closed the door and locked it before I turned on the shower. Looking in the mirror, my eyes grew wide and my mouth slightly open. This can't be happening.

A big bloody handprint was shown over my mouth and spread to my cheeks.

"Oh my God," I whispered, shaking my head as I quickly grabbed a dark towel. I sat on the counter and tried to scrape off the blood on my face. I slightly succeeded and threw the towel in the dirty hamper. I undressed myself and slipped into the shower, letting the hot water soak my body. It was actually relaxing me for once.

I let my thoughts drain my mind as I washed my hair. What kind of friends do I have? Backstabbers. They like to take advantage of me because I am a year younger than they are; so what? I think they pushed it too far this time. I don't ever want to see or talk to them, they really scared me.

That man in the tunnel. He didn't sound like an adult. He sounded a bit like Ryder but this voice was even deeper. I vow to never go back to that creepy tunnel. I don't want to see the tunnel or my friends at all.

I sighed and turned off the water, stepping out and wrapping the towel around my body. I dried myself before I got dressed into my black sweatpants and my white t-shirt. I placed my other clothes in the dirty hamper before stepping out of the bathroom. I pulled on a sweatshirt, feeling Goosebumps rise to my skin. I picked up my phone from the bedside table and unlocked it.

I had received a text from my mother ten minutes ago. I clicked the message and read it,

To: Carter, From: Mom