Th.ty Five

It was now the end of the last semester, and I was excited. In two days, we would be going to State. I had studied day in and out for this, and I was determined to represent for not only myself, but my school and my family. State would be in Houston, Texas this year.

" I hope you're ready, tiger. " Mr. Cobain joked.

" As ready as I'll ever be. " I chuckled.

" Good, because there's some stiff competition there, bud. " he said, shading me with his eyes. I gave him a look, and he chuckled, getting up. " So, to my State bound students, they have given us the topic of discussion: white vs. black. "

" Ain't this about to be some shit. " Garrett mumbled, and I agreed.

" Mr. Cobain, how could we talk about such a pressing issue in today's society, that's the problem now. People always want to put us against each other, and that's what'll keep us divided. "

" That's exactly what they want. I told you there would be stiff competition, and there will be an abundance of scouts in the audience. They're not making this easy on anyone. " he informed us. The bell rung, and we all scattered out of the classroom.

I walked over to my locker, reaching for my History book and feeling a pair of hands rest on my waist.

" Brandon, what did I........what do you want? "

" You know you still my shawty, you belong to me. " Flex stated, cockily.

" Not even in your dreams, silly. " I closed my locker, starting to walk away.

" Hold on....." he grabbed my arm, but I snatched away from him. I heard someone clear their throat, and there stood Breezy and Candice.

" Is there a problem? " she asked him, lifting her eyebrows.

" Yeah, there's a problem, but I won't acknowledge it. Just know, I'm coming for you, Deon. " he said my real name, and I started to shiver.

" Oh shit, am I supposed to be scared? Bye, sir. " I waved him off.

" Bye. " Candice rolled her eyes, and he finally walked away.

" So, how's everything going with your people? " I asked Breezy, and he scoffed. " Are they not letting up? "

" Hell no. I've been trying my best to find a job, but that wont help. I won't be able to make enough to pay rent. "

" Have you talked to your parents about this? " Candice asked him.

" I'm not asking either of them for shit! " he slammed his locker, walking away.

" Poor baby. " Candice cooed, shaking her head.

" I have an idea, but it's still in the works. " I told her.

" What is it? "

Today was the day that we went to State. We boarded the shuttle bus, and started the long drive to Texas. We made it there about six that night, and settled into the hotel. We all rested that night, and prepared for the big day. The next morning, we all woke up, got ready, and made our way to the auditorium. I walked, nervously as the bystanders glared at us, turning their noses up.

" Don't let them do it to you. " Garrett reminded me. I nodded, and we continued to our meeting room.

" We're here, and I want to start off by saying that I'm proud of all of you. You have all worked hard, and I know for a fact that it will pay off. The way that this will work, they will put you guys into groups, and you both will be presented in that round. Once that round has ended, a school will be eliminated. Once every group from your school has went, that's it. If you don't make it to the end, there's nothing to be done, but I'm pretty confident. "

" So how will we be grouped together? " Garrett asked.

" Four groups, you and Tre will be together. King and Tyra. Miyh and Johnny, and David and Gee. " Mr. Cobain informed us, and we all nodded.

" Whose up first? " Miyh asked.

" I want to start strong, and end strong, so King and Tyra, yourself and Johnny, David and Gee, then Tre and Garret will go last. " he said. There was a knock at the door, and the stage manager was telling us that we had ten minutes until the first group was to go on stage.

" I have to use the restroom, I'll be back. "

I exited the room, walking to the lobby and catching sight of my family. What really made me cry was that Tia was here. I quickly ran over to hug them. Jay smiled at me, patting me on the back. They walked into the auditorium, and I continued to the restroom. As I was washing my hands, a white kid walked into the bathroom, and stood beside me. He sized me up and I looked into the mirror, trying to ignore him.

" Just like a black person, making a situation something it isn't. " he chuckled.

" I really want you to back away from me right now? " I asked him, nicely.

" I can do whatever I please to do. " he grabbed me, but I quickly pushed him back to the wall. He looked at me, shocked.

" But that's what you're not going to do. I will see you inside, and I really hope that you brought your 'A' game. "