8YearsGone

"We're moving back to the city!", were the first words I hear after I get home from school. 

"What?", I ask confused, dropping my bag to the floor.

"There is an opening there that would be great for the family. This job has a higher pay and the business is willing to give us an apartment." Mom says. 

Looking around, I notice that they were already packing for the move. Boxes built upon one another with your family's valuables within them. The slowly becoming empty house had the lingering smell of permanent marker from the many labels for the boxes.

"When?" I ask, peeking inside an open box to see the dishes yards wrapped in yards of paper.

"I need to be at the office by next Monday, so everything needs to be in the moving truck by Saturday.", Dad replies while folding newspaper around a coffee cup.

You pick your bag up and head to your room, surprised that they haven't touched it yet. Only trace of them coming in were the flat cardboard that leaned upon your bedframe.

'I can't believe it. I am going back to the city!

But then I remembered why we left in the first place.

I was told when I was 7, I would leave our apartment in the middle of the night and go to the park nearby. My parents said while searching for me, I was talking and laughing with someone at this nearby park, but they didn't see who I was with. When I was asked who I was talking to, I would reply with crazy answers like, "He's my friend, the ninja!". 

Of course, they got worried for me and put me through therapy. The therapists would tell my parents that I would tell her stories of climbing buildings and running through the streets with the turtle ninja. She recommended that we move out of the city and find a quieter place with less pollution in the air. My dad would say it was just my imagination and I was just being a kid. However, my mom believed I was going crazy. No other 7 year old would leave their home and run through the dangerous streets of New York at night. So by the next week, we moved to a smaller town in northern New York, where I eventually forgot about this so called Turtle Ninja and lived the next 8 years as a regular person.

-Next Monday-

"I'll be back a little after 4.", says my dad as he grabs his case. "Good luck hun." my mom says to him. As they both kiss, I look around our new apartment. After he leaves, my mom walks over to the couch and falls asleep. 

'She must be tired after all that driving.', I think as I open a box. 

A few hours pass by and I already unloaded all the kitchen boxes and my belongings. As I gaze around my room in approval, my mom walks in with papers in her hands. "Hey, here is your new schedule for school tomorrow. Want me to walk with you in the morning?" she asks while handing me the papers. 

"That's alright. You need to sleep anyways." I reply and glance at the school papers. 

"Your room looks nice. Thanks for unloading the kitchen." she says while sitting down on my bed. I sigh and sit next to her. "I'm sorry if the move was hard on you. We couldn't pass up on the offer cause of the money problems." she whispers as she side hugs me. 

"Eh, it's alright. I didn't really have friends there anyways. The way I see it, it's an adventure. An adventure where I have to be ready for anything." I say. I lean my head against her shoulder and remember all the kids in my old school. No one would probably remember me anyways.

"Speaking of friends, remember that little red head girl named April that used to live in the same building as us before we moved. I bet she will be going to the same school! Wouldn't that be exciting to meet your old childhood friend!" my mom said while standing. 

Her mentioning this made me come to realization that our new apartment was indeed close to our old one. I smile at the thought of meeting the older version of the young, clumsy red head. "Heh, yea. That would be cool." I say.

"Oh, dad is supposed to be here in a few minutes, does Chinese sound good?" she asks before she leaves my room.

"Yes!"