Chapter 7

When I woke up, I wasn't lying in the grass like I was when I fell asleep.

 The only thing that was the same was that I was still in Luke's arms.

He had his arm around my waist and his legs were tangled with mine, leaving no space in between us, but I didn't mind.

 His breathing was steady and I shuffled around so I could look at him.

 I traced my finger over his closed eyes making sure not to wake him up. His lips were parted and long breaths traveled in and out of them.

 He didn't have a scowl on when he was sleeping, and his dimples showed.

 I didn't know he had dimples.

I put my hand down, but his hand grabbed it out of the air making me jump.

"Sorry," He mumbled in a cute morning voice, "that felt good."

His eyes weren't open, which meant he couldn't see the smile that slowly started to appear on my face.

"I came in last night but I didn't know if your parents were home or not." He said and my body tensed under his.

He opened his eyes then, sensing my change in moods.

"What?" He asked, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

 "My parents aren't... aren't here anymore." I said, trying not to look into his eyes to see the pity they held.

"Emilee....I'm so sorry I didn't know." He said.

When I didn't reply, he lifted my chin up with his hand so I was forced to make eye contact.

Pity wasn't shown in his eyes like I expected, all I could see was sadness.

His arms were then around me again and my head rested on his chest as I started sobbing.

 I was literally sobbing into his chest today when I hated him yesterday.

Tears stained his white teeshirt, and no matter how hard I cried, I couldn't stop.

"Shh baby, it'll be okay." He kept whispering to me and rubbing my back, but as empty as I was right then, Luke was the only person who could fill my broken heart.

We might've stayed like that for hours, but Luke never left. He stayed with my the whole time, trying ot comfort me.

When I finally stopped crying, I looked up at him and he gave me a smile that showed his dimples again, making me smile.

 Not the fake smile I had put on for years, a real smile that sent genuine happiness through my body and into my soul.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked. "You don't have too, but sometimes it helps."

I nodded, finally getting enough courage to tell the story of how I got to be this way.

.

.

.

.

"My mom never approved of the way I was. We would get into arguments all the time about what I did or what I wore and my dad wanted me to go my own way. On the day they died I got into a huge argument with both of them..." I paused to take a breath. "I don't even remember what it was about. I sure hope it was important though. It cost them their lives.

I ran out, not knowing where I was going, but I ended up laying in the grass of an abandoned house. I sat there for about 45 minutes, then I heard the crash."

Tears were streaming down my face by the time I got to that part of my horrible story, but Luke quickly brushed them away with his thumb and gave me an encouraging look to go on.

"I ran to the scene, but it was already too late. Blood scattered the streets and two cars were in pieces in the middle of the street. One of them had my parents in them."

"They died because of me that day, they were looking for me!" I screamed. "It was all my fault and I'll never be able to say I'm sorry, and I'll never get to tell them I love them!"

Luke pulled me into a tight hug as I cried even more. The pain was easing though.

"Don't ever tell me it was your fault." He whispered in my ear. "Nothing was your fault, and I know how much you miss them, but they aren't coming back and you cant do anything about it, I know it hurts right now, but you'll get through it, because ill be right here with you."

"Luke,"

"Yeah?"

"Don't ever leave me like everyone else did." I said yawning.

"I will never make a promise I can't keep." He said, kissing my forehead as I fell asleep again.