Chapter 17

"Luke what did you say to Noah?" I asked when we finally walked into the apartment.

"Don't worry about it." He said without meeting my eyes.

I huffed and turned on the tv, scrolling through the channels until I found one I liked.

I the middle of the show my eyelids started to droop. Luke noticed and lifted me bridal style to our bedroom.

He set me down and placed a kiss at the top of my head. "I love you Em."

"Love you Luke." I mumbled and drifted off, my phone beeping being the last thing I heard before I entered unconscious.

Luke's Point of View.

I set her down on the bed and kissed her forehead, then her phone beeped from her pocket.

It was from Jeff, what the hell?

Hey baby. Remember what I said. You better stay quiet about this or Lukey won't be there to protect you. I just wanted to say I've been watching you. Ill meet you at your work tomorrow and we can have a little fun. Okay? Bye sexy. -Jeff

My fists were balled and I read the other text he had sent her.

Don't think you can escape from us. Luke cant protect you from everything. He may be your dream guy, but we're your worst nightmare. Oh and don't tell loverboy about this, or he wont be around anymore to protect you. -Jeff

I was fuming. How the hell did he get her number and why didn't she tell me?

Jeff was dead.

Then realization hit me.

She had been trying to protect me. My own center of the universe was protecting her protector.

I walked into the bedroom to see Emilee sleeping. Her hair fell over her face and she looked stressed. Now I know why.

I sat down next to her and played with a piece of her hair. "I love you more than anything." I whispered.

I had to protect her, she's all I had left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emilee's Point of View.

I woke up without Luke laying next to me. It felt cold and wrong.

I got up and changed into decent clothes for work, with a little bit of makeup.

I walked out to see Luke sitting on the coach, and he looked pissed. "Luke?"

I went and sat next to him, laying my hand on his. His features seemed to soften at my touch.

"You ready Em?" He asked, still not meeting my gaze.

I nodded and he grabbed his keys and walked outside to the car.

Once we were seated and driving, I broke the awkward silence between us.

"Luke are you okay?" I asked him and he sighed.

"Do you really have to go to work today?" He asked in a shaky tone.

"Yeah..." I answered with question in my voice.

Why wouldn't I go to work?

"Okay.." He said as we pulled up to my work.

I opened the car but Luke stopped me again.

"Emilee... be safe, and call me if you need me okay?" He said and gave me a small smile.

"Okay Luke. I love you."

His smile grew a tiny bit bigger.

"I love you more than anything Em." He said and I shut the door and made my way inside.