Chapter 11

She walked in, glaring at me then averting her eyes to Luke.

"And who's this fellow you got here? Your parents never thought you'd get a guy.." She smirked, looking him up and down.

"Don't you dare talk about my parents!" I screamed at her, making the restaurant go silent.

"And why not? They loved me more than you anyways."

My heart broke into a million pieces. That was crossing the line, and I could see it in her eyes that she knew it too.

"Just because they gave you the money doesn't mean they loved you more than they loved their own daughter..." I said.

"I beg to differ. They never saw a future in the girl you had grown to be. They didn't trust you with all the money. They had so much saved too. Too bad I guess, you could've paid for college and a house." She said and pursed her lips.

I lunched forward but a familiar pair of tattooed, muscular arms pulled me back.

'She's not worth it." Luke said sending daggers in her direction.

"And who are you? Her little guardian angel?" She stepped forward and her hand made contact with my face. Hard.

"I see why you would need her. The poor thing cant take care of herself." She smirked.

"Leave, now." Luke said to her harshly.

"And what makes you think I'm gonna do that?"

"You just laid hands on her and if you don't think Ill call the cops your dead wrong. I could always take care of you myself but I'm not sure if your a woman or the devil so I might as well not take any chances because I don't hit girls." Luke said harshly, kneeling down to help me.

She turned to leave, but stopped.

"Oh and Emilee, this wont be the last time you see me." Then she stalked out, leaving everybody with their mouths agape.

"Baby are you okay?" Luke asked, lifting me up and examining my cheek.

"I'm fine thanks for that Luke." I smiled and he smiled back, but his eyes held curiosity.

"You have a hand print on your cheek." He said and frowned.

"She was a huge bitch Emilee. Who was she?" He asked me.

"Can we wait until we get back home please?" I pleaded, suddenly not wanting to be there.

Luke nodded and pulled me into a hug, then took my hand and led me to the car.

The drive home was filled with a comfortable silence, neither of us had anything to say until we got home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curled up onto the couch while Luke went to go get me some ice.

We had arrived home and changed into comfortable clothes.

Luke stepped into the room, ice in hand.

His hand reached for my cheek and I flinched at the contact.

"Ah, I'm sorry baby." He said, his eyebrows furrowed and an expression on his face I couldn't read.

"I'm guessing you wanna know who that was eh?" I said and gave him my best smile.

He nodded and waited for me to go on.

"Katelyn is my cousin. When my parents died and my uncle took me in, she was still living with him.

She was a horrible person, almost as bad as my uncle. She would hit me and kick me and make me feel even more like a worthless piece of shit.

A few weeks after my parents died, she walked in saying she was planning on moving out, and when my uncle asked where she got the money she had told him from my parents." I stopped, and looked at Luke.

"My parents didn't leave me anything." I said. "Nothing."

He wrapped his arm around me as a signal for me to continue.

"She never liked me and now she's back to help ruin my life, right when it got better."

Luke's arm tightened around me.

"I told you I would protect you from everything right?" He asked me and I nodded.

"Well Emilee, I intend to keep that promise."

I smiled up at him and he planted a kiss on my swollen cheek.

"You should go to bed Em."

"Carry me?" My eyes were closed, but I knew a smirk was plastered on his face.

"Your so cute."

He lifted me up and took me to the bedroom.

"Goodnight Emilee, I love you."

"Love you too."

And with that I fell asleep.