Chapter 42

I seemed like the bright lights of New York City were even more magical at night.

 Luke wrapped his muscular arm around my torso and I laid my head on his chest as we watched the city pass us.

 The lights shined and moved and it felt as if I could live in this moment forever. It felt as if I didn't have a life threatening brain tumor.

 Luke shuffled, then stood up.

 I looked up at him puzzled, but he smirked and threw out his hand to lift me off the concrete.

 He took my hand and pulled me up. Our faces were about 2 inches apart and his eyes trailed down to my lips. I smiled and leaned in the rest of the way and placed my lips on his.

 He smiled into the kiss and pulled away to smile even bigger.

 "C'mon Em." Luke smiled and pulled me away from our little spot on the dark sidewalk.

 We ran through the people who crowded the sidewalks. My smile took over my face and laughs wouldn't stop escaping my lips.

 "Luke where are we going?" I yelled as people gave us annoyed glances.

 "Stop asking questions and just hurry up slowpoke." He yelled back jokingly.

 I giggled and ran a little faster to catch up to him.

 We stopped at the end of a sidewalk, breathing deeply from our long run.

 Lady Liberty stood across the water very close to where we were standing.

 "That's where were going." Luke said and pointed up at the Statue. I smiled, then frowned at the thought of being up so high in the air.

 Luke sensed my discomfort and walked over to my now rigid body.

 He placed his hand on my cheek and wiped a piece of hair out of my face.

 "Your gonna be fine. I'm going to be there for you the whole time Em. You have nothing to worry about okay?" He said softly.

 I nodded and gave him a small smile.

 He took my small hand in his and led me over to the entrance to the top.

 We entered through a gate and stepped into the tiny elevator inside that led to one of the biggest tourist attractions in New York City.

 We slowly inched up in the elevator until a bell rang, signaling that we were at the top.  Luke looked down at me and gave my hand a small squeeze before stepping out onto the platform.

 I followed behind him and a breath of cool hair hit my face.

 I stepped carefully over to the edge of the floor and peeped m eyes open to take in the somehow beautiful scene siting right in front of my eyes.

 I gasped and Luke laughed.

 It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Lights shined everywhere I looked and you could see every building in Manhattan.

 It made it even more special that Luke had brought me up here.

 I looked up to see his blue eyes gazing at me. He smiled and took a step towards me so there was no room in between us.

 "Why aren't you looking at the city?" I asked him softly.

 "The city might've taken my breath away the first time I saw it, but you.... you take my breath away every time I look at you." He said, then looked down at his shoes.

 I blushed and put my hands on his cheeks. His gaze looked up to meet me, but my lips were already planted on his.

 He seemed surprised at first, but he relaxed and kissed me back.  His hands were holding my hips and mine had moved to the back of his neck.

 I pulled away and smiled up at him.

 "Thank you..... for everything Luke. You've done so much for me in a matter of months and I don't know what to do to repay you."

 He chuckled and shook his head, causing his hair to swish back and forth.

 "Em, I should be saying that to you everyday of my life. You don't need to repay me when you've already overpayed."

 I frowned up at him, but shook my head. He winked, then pulled me back to the elevator.

 -------------------------------------

We drove back home that night.

 Luke and I were both disappointed to go, but also thankful for the best day of our lives.

During the car ride I had fallen asleep 3 different times.

 I felt bad that Luke had to drive, but every time I asked to drive, he would stubbornly shake his head and refuse.

 The drive was about 3 hours back because there wasn't a lot of traffic.

 When we finally got home, we were both exhausted from our day and went straight from the car to bed.

 I dreamt of New York and Luke.

 I didn't even think once about why we were doing this either.

---------------

hey. sorry I haven't updated in awhile, I've been super busy! I hope you guys don't hate me for the sucky chapter either....... erg.                                             xx em xx