Chapter 44

Luke's arm was placed protectively around my waist as he led me down a small entryway to an alley. At the end of the alley was a small cement staircase.

 Luke had told me this was a part of my bucketlist, but I had no idea what was up here that had to do with anything on that list.

 "Luke... are you sure were at the right place?" I asked him nervously.

 He chuckled, then sighed.

 "You've already asked me a thousand times Em, yes I'm 100 percent sure this is the right place." He said when we finally neared the small staircase.

 Luke motioned for me to go first, and he followed close behind me. As I stepped higher and higher, a beautiful scene was painted out in front of me.

  The beautiful night sky shined behind a balcony, which held a small table with two chairs.

 The table was covered in a white table cloth and a candle. Two plates also sat on top of the table.

 Luke stopped next to me and grabbed my hand nervously.

 "D-do you like it..?" He asked, his voice shaky.

 I turned to face him and smiled. "Nobody has ever done anything like this for me Luke. I- I love it, and I love you."

 He grinned and leaned in to place a kiss on my awaiting lips. Luke pulled away and led me over to the table.

 He pulled the chair out for me and I plopped down.

 His eyes glittered with mischief as he sat down across from me.

 I looked away from him and stared off the balcony. The city sparkled below us and the night sky illuminated every detail.

 "It's beautiful." I said.

 "Almost as beautiful as the girl sitting across from me." Luke smiled in his intriguing accent that I could never ignore.

 I blushed.

 Luke lifted his glass of what looked like champagne and I mirrored his actions with the glass sitting in front of me.

 "Toast to Emilee, for fighting through everything life throws at her." Luke said softly.

 I clinked my glass with his and sipped the beautiful liquid.

 As I set the glass down, Luke lifted the metal cover over our plates to reveal a plate of what looked like chicken parmesan.

 I laughed down at the plate.

 This was the meal we had eaten on our first date..... before Katelyn had shown up.

  Luke and I both started eating the delicious food, and we were finished in no time.

 "That was really good." I said.  Luke nodded slowly.

 "Uhm, Luke..?" I asked curiously.

 "Mmm?" He mumbled.

  "Not that I don't love this.... but you said this was part of the bucketlist...?" I questioned.

 He smiled as if he was remembering something.  "One second...."

 He jumped up out of his chair and jogged over to a small corner of the balcony.

 He picked up something out of the corner and jogged back over to me.

 I couldn't move, and couldn't look away.

 He held a beautiful electric Gibson guitar.

 It was red with small black designs scattered across the body.

 I finally found the courage to look up at a grinning Luke.  "I-I- this is... amazing Luke, but... how?"

 He chuckled and handed me the guitar.

 ''It doesn't matter how I got it.. it only matters that you like it."

 I turned the guitar to the side and an engraving appeared to my eyes.

 Emilee + Luke

 5-26-14

 Hearts are wild creatures, that's why are ribs are cages, but my heart belongs to her now.

 Tears welled up in my eyes as I read the simple, yet beautiful words. Luke scurried over to me and placed his hands on my cheeks.

 "Are you okay Em?" He asked worriedly.

 I smiled as the tears spilled over.

 "I love you so much Luke." I sobbed and pulled him, and the guitar into a hug.

 I could feel him chuckle through the hug.

 "I love you more than anything Em. And I would do anything for you." He mumbled and played with my hair behind me.

 I placed my head into his neck and breathed in the familiar scent of his cologne.

 I wish nothing could ever separate us.

 Not even a tumor.