Chapter 13

I ran over to the man kicking Luke, leaving Haley behind.

He was about 6'2 and very muscular.

His foot made contact with Luke so many times I couldn't count.

Before I knew what I was doing I was infront of the man, shielding Luke from the kicks he was giving.

He kicked me in the ribs and I flipped over, breathing hard.

"And who's this Lukey?" He asked.

Luke's eyes went wide, and he got up off of the ground pulling me behind him.

"What? I'm not gonna hurt her, I just want to know how you got such a good looking lady." He winked at me and licked his lips.

"Stay away from her." Luke said, anger flashing in his eyes.

"Don't talk back to me boy, or your fired." The man said sternly.

"Don't worry I quit." Luke said, taking my hand and dragging me to the other side of the street.

"Well don't expect you, or your girl to be safe anymore then!" He yelled making Luke's eyes go wide again.

"Next time you should just do you job Hemmings, and none of this would've happened."

And he walked away, not saying another word.

"Luke! What the fuck was that about!" I screamed making him jump.

"I- Ill tell you when we get back." He whispered.

I looked around and noticed many eyes were planted on us, including Haley's curious glance.

"Give me a second." I said.

I let go of Luke's hand and ran over to Haley, pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you so much for such I fun day." I whispered in her ear.

"Anytime babe."She said smiling.

"I promise ill explain everything later when I know what's going on." I said.

"Okay. And Em? Be careful."

I gave her a weak smile and walked back over to Luke.

We walked to the car in silence. He had tried to take my hand, but I flinched away from his touch.

The car ride was filled with an awkward tension between the two of us.

I could feel his eyes glancing at me, but I refused to meet his with my own.

When we finally got into the apartment, he pulled me into a hug.

His head rested on my shoulder and I waited for him to talk.

"I'm so sorry Em. I never wanted you to find out like this." He said.

"Find out about what Luke? I saw you being beaten! Then I find out the guy that's hurting you is your boss? Why are there so many secrets?!?!?"

"Just let me explain okay?" He asked.

I nodded my head and he took my hand, pulling me over to sit on the couch.

"Yeah, that guy was my boss.

I-I'm the delivery boy..... Jeff... He would give me a new product and I would deliver it. Period, point, blank."

He looked down at the floor as he continued.

"After moving away from everything, I didn't know what to do. Jeff found me and took me in. Well sorta. He offered me the job and I took it. It paid well. Everything was going great for awhile, but then I met you. At first I thought you weren't going to change anything in my life, but I was so wrong."

He looked up at me and gave me a small smile.

"You changed everything.

After I finally realized I couldn't be without you, I went in and told him I was thinking about quitting.

That's where you found me.

He got angry. I couldn't stop him. He just kept kicking and kicking, and then you showed up."

I looked at Luke's face. He looked like a child who just broke his favorite toy.

"I messed up Emilee, and now I put you in the center of this. And I'm sorry."

His pleading eyes met mine and asked for forgiveness.

I brought my lips softly to his, and he smiled into the kiss.

"I'm still pissed though, but you have a warning now." I said and his laughter filled the room.

I looked up at his face and finally noticed all the bruises and cuts.

"Oh my gosh Luke! Come here!" I said and led him into the bathroom.

I cleaned up all his cuts and put ice on the bruises.

We both sat down on the couch and he laid his head on my lap.

"Emilee, you know I love you right?" He asked me.

"I know Luke." I said and played with his hair.

"I love you too Luke." I said and planted a kiss on his forehead.

His eyes started drooping and moments later soft snoring was heard and I was left with my thoughts.

Your my lifejacket when the oceans too rough to swim. Your my anchor when the waves try to pull me away. -Unknown