Chapter 25

Luke wasn't with me when I woke up the next day, but he was probably just getting ice again.

 Light streamed through the small hotel window, signaling it was time for me to get up.

 I took a much needed shower and put on a pair of grey skinny jeans, a Marvel shirt, a red flannel and I left my hair wavy and covered my head in a black beanie.

 When I had finished it had been about 30 minutes and Luke still wasn't there. I walked over to the door and gasped at the sight in front of me.

 The guitar I was playing yesterday sat in front of the door with a red bow sitting on the wood and a note was placed inside.

 I pulled out the paper and read the note carefully.

 Hi Em. I saw the look in your eyes yesterday while you were playing and I knew you needed to have the guitar. Don't you dare try to pay me back because it was a gift and you deserve it for everything. I had to go to the store to get some groceries, but ill be back soon. I love you. -Luke xx

I smiled and placed the note in my bag.  I'd pay Luke back without him knowing. I couldn't let him buy me everything for me.

 I picked up the guitar and played around with the strings so it was perfect for me.

 I played a few songs as I waited for Luke, but minutes were turning to hours and I had already called and texted him more times than I could count. Worry was sweeping over me like a blanket.

 The sound of my phone plucked me out of my thoughts and I eagerly picked up the phone.

 It wasn't Luke.

 Jeff:  So, I guess you thought you could just do whatever you want huh? Well you've effected everybody in your life now. I have Luke with me right now and if you love him that much, you would do anything to get him back. Right? Well I have a deal for you. You do what I say and he doesn't get hurt. Okay sweetheart?

Anger and fear were all I felt. Jeff had Luke. Sobs escaped my mouth as I dialed Jeff's number into my phone.

 "Ah, so you decided to call me after all?" Jeff laughed and sickness blanketed my stomach.

 "What do you want?" He laughed again.

 "I want you sweetheart. Luke sure did get lucky with you and I want to see just how lucky he was." He said and more tears ran down my face.

 "I- if I do what you want... do you promise you wont hurt him?" I whispered in defeat.

 "Sure thing babe." He snarled.

 "Fine." I spat at the phone.

"I knew you would agree. Now I want you to meet me at 12556 Maple Avenue. Its the tallest building on the street. When you get in tell the man at the door your here for me. Ill see you then"

I heard the phone line go dead and I fell to the floor. Tears streamed my shirt and sobs were the only noise I could make.

 Why? Why when I'm finally happy with my life, somebody has to mess it up?

When no more tears would fall, I silently packed up all of our things and walked out to the car, with more hatred in my heart than hope.

  -------------------

I speeded down the street as fast as I could. I had to make sure Luke would be safe.

 I pulled into the tall building and followed Jeff's instructions to get in.

I took a single step into the building and greedy hands wrapped around my hips.

"Hello beautiful." Jeff whispered in my ear and I squirmed at his touch. My heart was racing and he could tell.

 "Why are you so nervous? I wont hurt you..." He purred and I gagged.

 "Let's go up-"

 "Take me to Luke." I demanded and his eager smirk turned into a frown. "And what makes you think I would do that?" He asked, clearly amused.

 "You promised he would be safe." I said loudly, more confident in myself than I had been in a long time.  "Fine." He sighed and led me to a small room at the end of the hall.

 The door was opened to reveal a tired looking Luke.

 He was tied to a small chair in the middle of the room.  His head lifted up and his eyes met mine and widened in fear.

 I broke free of Jeff's grasp and sprinted over to the broken looking boy.

 Cuts and bruises lined his beautiful face and I wondered if he had put up a good fight.  I wrapped my arms around him and sobbed into his neck.

 "Emilee! What the hell are you doing here?!? You shouldn't be here." He said in a pained voice.

 "I have to keep you safe Luke." I said with tears in my eyes and he gave me a small smile.

 "Coming here was so stupid Em. You should've just left me."

 "You know I wouldn't do that." I smiled at him.

 "Alright you two.. its time to break it up." Jeff said and is meaty arms wrapped around me.

 I tried to fight, but Jeff threw me to the ground and kicked me hard in the stomach.

 I could faintly hear Luke yelling and trying to break free, but my attention was focused on the man who was looking down at me and laughing.

 I didn't scream, or yell. All I did was slowly stand up and spit right in his face.

 A flustered look was plastered on his features as he wiped the saliva out of his eyes.

 The flustered look was replaced with anger as he approached me. He stopped right before I had hit the wall and looked over to Luke.

 Luke' eyes met mine and he pleaded for me not to do anything stupid.

 Jeff walked over to Luke and punched him in the stomach multiple times.

 I screamed and tried to make my way towards him but I was being pushed away.

 Jeff stopped and looked at me with victory in his eyes. He knew.

 He knew the only way I would listen to him was if Luke's life was on the line.

 Jeff took a step away from a breathless Luke.

 "Are you going to listen now sweetheart?" He smirked and I nodded, sobs coming out of my mouth.

"No- Emilee you don't need to do this to protect me!" Luke pleaded from across the room. I gave him a sympathetic smile.

 "Its my turn to save you." I whispered.

 Jeff rolled his eyes and roughly pulled me out of the room.

  Tears rolled down my cheek and I could faintly hear Luke's words through the door.

 "I love you Emilee. Don't let him take you away from me."