Chapter 36

Day after day passed and I still sat cooped up in the same hospital room.

Of course Jillian and Allison and Haley visited. They even brought me some get well soon gifts and stuffed animals, but I wasn't allowed to stand or move.

 I felt like I couldn't do anything by myself. Luke had to get everything for me and Amber had to bring me things.

 Luke also couldn't stay over night anymore and it was horrible without him by my side, keeping me company, but the doctors did realize that Luke's leg wasn't actually as severe as they thought it was, so he didn't have to wear his cast anymore.

 I sighed and rolled over to reach my phone.

 "Only 1 more day Em." Luke said positively, but I frowned.

 His smile faded and he scooted over to sit next to me on the bed.

 "I know you hate being here, but just be grateful. Your'e not dead and you're gonna be out tomorrow." Luke said with all serious in his voice.

  I gave him a small smile, realizing I had been selfish.

He smiled back and kissed me on the forehead.

 "So what now?" I asked. Luke shrugged and thought for a minute, then shot his head up and grinned.

 "Okay. I'm gonna run home and grab something real quick. Be right back babe." Luke said and rushed out the door.

I sat in the waiting room for a few minutes, then Amber walked in with my pills for the day.

I groaned and she laughed

 "Where's Luke?" She asked me.

 "He went to go get something for us to do." I smiled.

She nodded and walked back out to room after setting the tray down in the same spot.

 I looked at the pills in disgust and waited for Luke to get back so I wouldn't have to take them alone.

 After a little bit more of staring at the pills, I finally decided to try to take them.

 I plugged my nose and leaned my head back, then dropped the small red pill onto my awaiting tongue.

 I swallowed, then gagged, but kept downing the pills one by one until they were gone. I heard clapping from the door and I looked up to see Luke standing there with a huge grin plastered onto his face.

 I guess I didn't realize he had opened the door.

 I smiled back at him and opened my arms for the hug he came to give me.

 "I'm proud of you Em." He mumbled, then kissed my forehead and ran out the door to grab the surprise.

 He entered the room again with two guitars, his and mine.

 I grinned and tried to jump, but ended up wincing at the pain shooting through my head.

 "Shh, calm down. Do you need me to call the nurse baby?" Luke asked nervously, but I shook my head no and reached out for my guitar that I had missed so much.

 "This is amazing, thank you Luke." I smiled.

 "You deserve every bit of happiness you can get Emilee." He answered, making me blush.

 I turned to my guitar and strummed a few chords and tweaked a few strings before playing the first song that came to my head.

  The familiar tune to Waiting For Superman By: Daughtry flowed out of my guitar in a pattern of notes I loved so much.

 I looked up and sang the chorus while staring into Luke's ocean blue eyes.

 She's talking with angels, counting the stars.

 Making a wish on a passing car.

 She's dancing with strangers, falling apart. Waiting for Superman to pick her up.

 In his arms.

Luke smiled at me the whole song, clearly noticing what I was intending.

 He was my Superman. He fought and protected me and that's all I could ask for.

 I finished the song and then Luke began to play an unfamiliar song.  I smiled as beautiful lyrics spilled out of his mouth.

  And I know I shouldn't tell you, but I just cant stop thinking of you, wherever you are.

 You, wherever you are.

 Everynight I almost call you, just to say it always will be you, wherever you are.

He looked up from his guitar and chuckled at my look of curiosity and fondness.

 "What song was that?" I asked him and a nervous laugh rang out of his mouth as he slowly scratched the top of his head.

 "I- um I kinda wrote that song.... for you..." He trailed off, then faced me to witness my reaction.

 I smiled at him, then fought through the tubes and medical supplies to touch his awaiting lips with mine.

 As he smiled into the kiss the heart monitor started beeping again and we both pulled apart to laugh.

 "I love having that effect on you Em."