33:A Turning Point 2

Quick but crucial note: I don't know much  about how courts work so I'd appreciate it if you consider that I've never been into one or seen one and the scene is based purely over my own readings. Thank you.

Previously on Chapter 1:

I finished packing and stacked my boxes next to the front door. Mom wasn't home. She went to her workplace to finalize her transfer papers. I called my friends and told them that I'll be moving out of town. I didn't have much friends really, two actually, and we weren't that close. We weren't close to the point that they'll cry upon me leaving, but not distant enough for them to not be sad. 

However, I'm sure Gertrude the grocer would miss me the most. 

She was a nice lady, and she hands me a free chocolate bar every time I go grocery shopping with mom. She says that I remind her of her kids. I've seen one of her sons, and the resemblance was evident. Our hair color was almost the same shade of light brown, and facial features were close too.
<><><><<><><><

SHIT.

"Mom" I whispered to mom who was walking ahead of me in the long corridor of the law court building, where doors were on each sides of us.

She was playing with her fingers nervously and my whisper seemed to make her panic.

"What?"  she retracted back to my side.

"Do I have time to make a phone call?" I forgot to call Zac and he's probably an angry mess because I promised I'd call but I didn't. I cursed myself for my small attention span.

"Is it necessary to do one NOW?"

"Yes. I forgot to call Zac and it's now or never"

She lifted her arm and looked at the watch she was wearing.

"You have less than ten minutes" she said.

I quickly fished out my phone and dialed Zac's number.

You know what was weird? He didn't call me either. That thought itself made my heart sink in less than a heartbeat.

Beep.... Beep.... Beep

No answer.

Beep.... Beep.... Beep

Still no answer. I wanted to cry then and there. Why was he not answering? Something told me that it was something bad and I couldn't afford bad right now. My mind and body couldn't take in more worry.

I raked my hand through my hair and paced quickly to where mom and Tiffany were standing.

"Oh God what happened?" she immediately asked when she saw my trembling figure accompanied by my paling face.

"Mom Zac's not answering" I cried "What if something bad happened to him again? What if his head was acting up? And I can't be with him"  I shook all over as panic flooded through me. My breath was uneven and my eyes were dancing all over the place. "Mom I can't be with him anymore. I can't help him anymore" tears started flowing as the bitter thoughts took over me.

"Evan. Evan honey focus on my voice. You can't give up on me now" she had both of her hands grasping my upper arms and she spoke directly to my face.

I was more than thankful when she started breathing loudly so I could match my breathing with hers. I was starting to feel calm when a familiar voice yelled my name and dashed towards me.

"Evan are you okay?" Dad kneeled beside mom and put his arms on my shoulders.

"DON'T TOUCH ME" I screamed and I was now drawing attention of people passing by.
"GET HIM OFF ME! HE'S GOT A KNIFE" I panicked as the feeling of his knife cutting through my skin reverberated through my body.

"HE'S GOT A KNIFE" I screamed more and that seemed to get dad away from me as possible.

"Calm down honey no one's gonna hurt you" mom reassured me. She told everyone to get away from me so I could breathe, and lifted me up to my feet. I was feeling slightly better.

The whole thing just reinforced the idea in mind.

I can't live with him.

As we approached our seats and positions in the court room, my mind started taking dangerous deviations. I was considering killing him. Poisoning him. Stabbing him with a knife just like he did to me. I wanted him dead for taking me away from my life.

I tried shaking the passive thoughts off and it kinda worked. Kinda.

I was calm enough when the session started. It was a small room, compared to major courts, which wasn't unexpected because it supposedly wasn't going to take longer than 30 minutes at the most. Dad's attorney was going to read the custody request letter, Tiffany was supposed to defend our case, which was hopeless, but joint custody was a big possibility.

So I'd have to live a part of my week with Dad wherever the hell he lived in, and the other part I'd have to take a 5-hour drive back to the Graysons, so why did you want to fuck up my life like that?

After hearing what dad's lawyer had to say, I learned a few things. So dad apparently has a daughter, his and his new wife's. Not only that, but I also learned that his wife is Christy, one of my mom's best friends. Mom was definitely devastated I assumed. I snuck a glance at her, to try and read her face. She looked unshaken. She was sturdy and she obviously got over dad.

During the session, I got to know where dad lives, his working conditions, and stuff like that. I wasn't paying much attention most of the time. I was waiting for the judge's ruling. To be honest I just wanted to hear Zac's voice. My mind was with him. My heart never even left him when we came here. He has it now and forever.

The attorneys were done, and we were losing. I knew we were losing, and a joint custody was a definitive solution.

I thought of something suddenly. My scar. Dad caused me it so it should count as something against him right?

But I was faced with one problem. Only I and him knew about it, and he would simply deny it. I would look stupid, and mom would be even more worried about the new living arrangements. So my hopes were gone as quickly as they popped.

Dad's attorney said something that finalized their case, and the judge, seemed approving of it. Like I said, Never Lost A Case. Ever.

"Any objections?" The judge didn't give off the impression that he was on dad's side. He didn't even need to be in cahoots with Dad and his lawyer because dad was winning fair and square.

No one seemed that they were going to object, and mom's tears started to dance down her cheeks, with dad's triumphant grin plastered on his face.

The judge picked up his mallet to announce the ruling and end the session.

I guess this was it.

The moment I lose my old life, and start yet another one.

The day I start living in a new house with a new family that I hated.

The day Zac and I won't be sleeping together, and won't be waking up together. I couldn't imagine not waking up to his pouty lips and messy hair. I longed for his kiss but it was too far away. I longed to hear his voice even more now.

"I object!" a voice roared and reverberated over the walls of the hall we were in. All heads turned towards the objecting voice that was walking fiercely towards the front. As she got closer, I recognized her immediately.

She was someone who always gave me a chocolate bar and said I looked like her kids.

Gertrude.

It's coming to an end I cry. Thanks for reading!