C h a p t e r : 2

Y a s m i n e

Wednesday cont'd

We both freshened up and had our dinner and not too long after we finished, the door opened to reveal two faces I recognized from the pictures I saw on the wall

"Lee!" Ms Kelly said grabbing one of the ladies who seemed to be older than the other. They just look like sisters to me. These must be the people Ms Kelly told me about earlier.

"Yola! Mon amour!" The two guests took turns to hug Ms Kelly before coming in.

"Goodnight Aunty Yola." The younger one said following behind. She shut the door behind her and walked over to where I was. "Oh hey!" She said to me with the brightest smile I've seen in a while. Overcome with shyness I nibbled on my bottom lip and gave a simple wave.

"Hey." I greeted, barely able to speak, sinking myself into the comfort of the couch.

"This is Yasmine." I looked up to see Ms. Kelly pointing to me. "And Yasmine, this is my crazy best friend Charlie and her daughter Chante." Chante waved and Charlie took a seat in the recliner.

"Don't act like you don't have crazy blood too." She quarreled throwing in a bit of playful attitude. "Hey sweetie, I'm Charlie. It's nice to finally meet you. Yolande talks about you every chance she gets." She giggled sticking her tongue out at Ms Kelly earning a glare and head chuck in return. They bickered between themselves giving Chante and I a good laugh.

"Forgive them," she said, "they're always like this. I swear they act like kids when they're around each other." I laughed and shook my head looking at them. "It's nice to meet you by the way." She smiled.

"Nice to meet you too." I responded with a smirk. Xippora's light cries silenced Ms Kelly and Charlie bringing their attention to her. I took her out of the stroller to calm her down.

"Oh my gosh! She's so adorable!" Chante said looking on with adoring eyes. Her mom was funny though. The way she was gushing over Xippora and making all kinds of weird sounds had us all in tears.

"What's her name?" Charlie asked.

"Xippora." I said proudly.

"I love that name." Chante said looking at her. "I might steal it too. I don't think I've ever heard that name before." I laughed and cuddled Xi.

"I think it's time for her bath." I announced getting up from my seat. "I'm gonna go give her one and put her down." I left everyone downstairs and once upstairs I stripped her after laying her towel out on the bed. I put her on it and went to the bathroom to catch some warm water in her baby bath.

After her bath I dressed her, and once I got her to sleep I rejoined everyone downstairs. Ms. Kelly and...I can't remember her name. I curse my inability to remember names...but they were in the kitchen talking while...her daughter was flipping through some channels on the TV. I awkwardly made my way to the recliner catching her attention. She smiled at me and put her attention back to the TV. Her spirit was friendly and inviting I've noticed. It's very easy to talk to her, but still, I'm stubbornly shy.