C h a p t e r : 6

Y a s m i n e

Saturday, 7th November, 2015

I quickly got Xi's things together as well as mine and went downstairs. Chante was waiting for me and I didn't want to keep her too long. Xi was super fussy and I think it would be good for her to get out the house today.

After locking up the house, I secured my baby girl in her car seat and got in next to her.

"How are you?" I asked draping a blanket over Xi as she slept. Although I knew she probably wouldn't, I prayed that she slept for a least a half hour.

"Pretty chill day today." She said as she pulled out of the driveway.

"Must be nice. Xi has been turning up today so I've got my work cut out for me."

"Damn. Well I guess that means we can't really stay out too long today."

"I'm afraid not. Where are we going anyway?"

"I've got to get an outfit for the party and I need your help please. I'm not usually so last minute but I had a lot to do and Saturday just crept up on me like 'bitch whatchu' gon' wear?' so, yeah." I did love a good shopping spree...I just love clothes in general, so doing this would perk my mood.

In a matter of time we pulled into the parking lot of 'Finesse'. Upon entering, Chante was greeted warmly by two ladies who she then brought to me.

"Shandra, Aaliyah...this is Yasmine the girl I was telling you about. I want you guys to find her something nice for tonight please." I snapped my head to Chante with furrowed brows as the ladies pulled me away.

"I have a few things in mind." One of them said before branching away.

"Chante-"

"I'll watch Xi for you it's ok." She yelled as the other lady took me to the back. She sat me down in the dressing room and hung what they found on the hooks before shutting the door.

I sighed and folded my arms and sat on the seat in the room. Torn between the two opposing halves of my mind, I looked at all the dresses and reluctantly snatched the first dress of the hanger and tried them all on.

Out of spite, I tried them all in the dressing room until I found one that was both reasonable and attractive to me. Smoothing over the lines of the black, long sleeved bodycon dress, I sighed and bit the inner part of my lip. I adjusted the turtle neck and admired the mysterious look this dress gave.

"Yas what's taking you so long? Is everything ok?" I rolled my eyes and with a drawn out sigh I took the dress off.

Hmm...

Am I being ungrateful right now?

I know I should be happy someone cares but I kinda just feel like I'm some pity case and she's taking this way too far. She probably thinks that I lost a lot or something...I don't know. I shook my head and put my clothes on.

Her smile dropped once she saw that I was in the clothes I came in. I passed the black dress to one of the ladies. Confused, she looked at it and took it.

"Is this the one you want?" I affirmed with a soft smile and she walked away.

"I thought you were gonna let us see what you tried on." She said lightly rocking Xi in her arms. I took Xi from her and as I was about to open my mouth, she cut me off.

"Before you saying anything," she started, "I knew you wouldn't come if I told you I was shopping for you too." I clenched my teeth trying my best not to say the wrong things.