C h a p t e r : 12

Y a sm i n e

Friday, February 19th

I was still in pieces after the drama at Chante's party. I haven't left the house since that night because I couldn't deal with the outside right now. Chante, Anthony and even Chris has been blowing up my phone but I've just been ignoring it. They came by the house a couple of times but I never let them in. I just sat behind the door listening to them knock and leave after no answer. I always made sure to lock the doors because Chante was accustomed to it being unlocked whenever she wanted to come here.

Also, to my surprise, Nathan messaged me on Instagram but I was too broken to answer it. There was no way part of him cared, not after what he did to me.

I curled up on the couch with Xi in my arms as I looked at the TV. I heard the locks on the door clicking and to my surprise Chante came through it soaked from head to toe in rain water. I guess she asked Ms. Kelly for a key.

"Yasmine..." She said hanging her coat up in the small wardrobe. She took her boots off and dropped into the couch next to me. "I've missed you...I've been trying to get you all week." She said grabbing my hand. I looked at her and looked down at Xi as I broke down once more. A tear fell on her cheek and I wiped it away. "Yasmine please talk to me. Let me help." She pleaded, putting her arm around me consolingly but that only made it harder to stop crying. I was so consumed with hurt that it was almost impossible not to break down now.

"Toni's been asking for you every minute. He says you won't answer any of his calls." I caught the rest of my tears with my sweater sleeve and sighed. "He's going crazy wondering if you're ok." I just couldn't say anything. I had no motivation to speak. "I-I'm having a really small get together with friends and family later. I want you to come..." I continued to stare into space not bothering to acknowledge her request. "Yasmine please. You need to get out of the house for a little bit...get some fresh air...you and Xippora. It's not healthy for her...At least...think about it...alright? Please." I nodded and sniffed sweeping a lock of hair behind my ear. "I've gotta go run some really important errands with Chris for the wedding. I'll see you later ok bew?" I just kept my head hanging low. I couldn't look at her. "I love you." She kissed my forehead and left.

As soon as the door shut, I cut the TV off and took Xi upstairs. I put her in her crib and got under the covers in my bed forcing myself to sleep.

------

My bedroom door creaked waking me from my nap. I cried so much today that I dozed off a couple of times and when Xi was finally asleep, I fell asleep too.

"I'm home sweetheart." Ms. Kelly entered my room and sat on the edge of the bed. She moved the covers back a bit to see my face and dolled my hair a bit. My eyes were reluctant to open. I peeled my lids apart slightly and looked up at her.  "How are you feeling dear?" I sighed and turned my eyes away from her. "I see you left the food I made for you there. You've gotta eat baby. Xi needs nourishment for her milk to make her healthy. If you don't eat for you then do it for her." I nodded and looked at her. "Are you coming with me later to Chante's party?"

The question made me uncomfortable because I promised Chante that I would think about it. I know she's going to be really disappointed that I'm not coming. "It's ok if you don't want to go. But you have to come out the house sooner or later baby girl." I sighed and looked over at Xi moving around in her crib. I bit my lip in guilt as I thought about how I've been treating myself, not realizing that this is hurting her too. My eyes watered a little and a tear left my eye. "Don't cry baby. Everything's gonna be ok. You may not see it now but it will be. I promise." She kissed my forehead and rose from my bed. "I'm gonna go get ready to go over to Charlie's house. I'll be back to check on you once I'm done." She smiled and left. I sighed and yanked the covers off me going over to Xi.