C h a p t e r : 38

Anthony
May 27th, 2016

My father was home today, so I wanted to take the opportunity to talk to him about the conversation I heard him having a few weeks ago. He was sitting out on my patio smoking a cigar so I joined him.

"You know weed is much better than that shit you smoking." He looked back at me and chuckled, watching as I took a seat.

"See now, you don't know what you talkin bout." He knocked the ashes off into his tray and took another pull.

"Have you ever tried it?" He laughed as if to say 'you don't know nothing bout me boy'.

"Ya old man had his days you know." I leaned forward to listen. "But to be honest I can't remember what it's like." I nodded.

"I used to smoke it but...I've been trying to stay off of it. Now that I have Xippora and Yasmine I've never looked at it again. I did have one relapse...well I wouldn't even call it that but a nigga was stressed out. That was the only time though."

"I could see that you really love her." He said putting his cigar down.

"I do...a bit too much." I chuckled sitting back in my seat. "She's the first woman that's ever captured my attention the way she did. Like she didn't even have to try."

"I know exactly what you mean..." he propped an arm up and rubbed his chin. "It's like uh, you've experienced love at first sight, like you've know them forever because you feel so comfortable around them."

"Yeah..." I laughed because that's exactly how it felt. "Then you're trying to hold back because you don't want to come on too strong but...you can't help yourself." He nodded and chuckled crossing his legs.

"You only ever feel that way with one person in life. That's the person that you should marry...so if Yasmine is the one that makes you feel that way then you shouldn't even wait. Love is timeless." Hearing this makes me wonder about their relationship. If you could feel this way about someone and still scream at each other the way they do then something is amiss.

"I don't get it. If mom was that person for you then why do y'all curse so much?" He didn't answer. Instead he just stared off into the distance and took a deep breath.

"Let's not get into that right now son. I know you're concerned but your mother and I will... we'll be fine." He took his ash tray up about to walk away. "I have to run some errands so I'll see you later."

"Oh you mean like appointments with Mama Yola?"

"Who?" He turned to face me.

"You know who I'm talking about. Yolande? Kelly?" He looked at me for a minute, then he looked around before walking back to me.

"What are you talking about-."

"Don't play dumb with me dad. I heard your conversation with her secretary... calling to say you'd be late." He grabbed my arm and pulled me a little aggressively to the edge of the pool.

"Lower your voice-."

"Why? Why won't you and mom be honest with me? I saw the way your face turned pale when you saw her at the brunch. What you think I didn't notice that? Now you're setting up appointments to meet her-."