C h a p t e r : 4

Y a s m i n e

Friday cont'd

For a minute, I sat staring into space as they spoke about 'Alicia'. I tuned back into the conversation listening intently.

"...called her and she said something about finals around the time of the wedding." Chante took her phone up and started going through it.

"Ain't dat da' girl that tried to spit game on me that one time we went out?" Anthony said next to me.

"Yeah...Oh yeah. She just made it official with this guy not too long ago so you have nothing to worry about." I caught a glimpse of the picture and noticed some familiar features. Could it be? No it can't be...

"Good. Bitch was gettin' on my damn nerves and y'all know how I hate bitches bein' all over me." He said about to pass the phone back.

"Can I see that picture please?" I blurted out. My breath hitched once I got a clear view of the image.

It was her...

It was that Alicia.

I knew damn well I didn't want to look but I couldn't resist. I went to her picture line up and saw different shots of her and Nathan on it. One of the captions on it said 'Finally mine❤️💍💑' and in the picture they were kissing in bed.

How could he do this to me? He probably never even wanted me in the first place. He never loved me. Before I knew it hot tears were pouring and there was that stupid lump in my throat. I couldn't bare to look at anymore pictures so I passed the phone back to Toni and stood up.

"I'm sorry..." my voice broke, "I gotta...just meet me in the car Tey." I quickly moved away with Xi from the table before my break down but with Chante hot on my trail.

"Yaz what's wrong? Do you know her?" She asked while rubbing my back. I shook my head no and continued to the car. I felt myself breaking to pieces bit by bit and I didn't want to be around Chante when it shattered.

I was crumbling...

I sat in the backseat of Chante's car with my little girl holding her close to me. I looked into her eyes and made a promise never to leave her side and abandon her. I wanted to make sure she had the best life ever.

Chante slowed her driving pace, eventually coming to a stop. She unbuckled her seat belt and got out taking the carrier from the backseat for me. I took my time to get out of the vehicle being very careful not to wake Xi.

Before we even made it to the steps Ms. Kelly was outside to greet us. I forced a smile and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She looked me in the eyes and frowned a little, and that's when I knew she had picked up on my sad spirit.

"Alright umm, Yasmine, I'll be back a little later alright? I just need to go run a few errands." She gave me a warm hug giving me a little squeeze. "I dropped the headphones for the phone in Xi's carrier for you." I nodded and thanked her watching as she got into her vehicle. Once she drove away I stepped inside the house and Ms. Kelly shut the door behind me.

"I'm gonna go take a nap now...worn out from today." I said to Ms. Kelly and she nodded giving me another hug before letting me go. I rocked Xi to sleep, then I got into bed ready to take a nap myself, but the truth is I couldn't sleep, at all.

My leg jumped as my mind whispered to me to check instagram again. Having a phone again was both a blessing and a curse now.

I groaned and gave in, retrieving the device that was about to show me what I wanted and didn't want to see. Once it powered up, I impatiently waited for the Instagram app to download and logged in once it did, quickly going to Nathan's page. He took all of our pictures down and replaced them with ones of him and Alicia.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach as I scrolled through his page with tears in my eyes. I wanted to unfollow them both but I still wanted to see what they were up to...I wanted to see how well they would do together.

My heart displayed a little darkness in wishing that karma would catch up to them soon but I quickly sucked it back up, reminding myself that this is not the person I am. Momma always said no matter how much wrong the world does to you, always do right by the world. Her reason for saying this is because God created the world to be a happy place and we should always contribute to that will of his no matter how hard it may be.

A n t h o n y

Since the girls left Chris has been pestering me about Yasmine. To be honest, I don't mind because for some strange reason my spirit connected with hers which hardly ever happens but then again I did mind because he doesn't know when to quit.

"Come on man, I saw you. Ain't no hiding from dat shit!" He teased. I wiped my hand down my face wearily. "I'm sorry but it's just dat I ain't neva seen you act like that around any female." He chuckled. He was right though I was always approached and never the approach-er.

"I just find her interestin'. I hardly eva' run intah' girl dat' didn't wanna talk her head off or hop on my dick. She wasn't rude but jus' reserved and quiet. It's jus' da way she carries herself that's so alluring." I huffed and sat back in my seat gripping the steering wheel a little tighter. I hated and loved what was happening at the same time and it was really confusing.

I knew I was not going to hear the end of this. I peeped the way he was nudging Chante when they caught me staring at her. I hope she's alright though. I wonder who that person is to her to affect her that much...I thought as I pulled up to my and Chris' destination.

I couldn't help but wonder what she's like. I already picked up that she's a bit shy and reserved, but I mean she just met me so I don't blame her. Once she gets to know me I'm sure she'll warm up to me. I'm caring too much about her liking me and it feels so foreign. You know what? I need to stop...with my crazy ass...

"And Kehlani I'd like for you to meet my brother Toni who is one of the most important people in my life when it comes to personal and business matters. Without him I would not be the legend I am today." Chris introduced me to his potential opening act for his upcoming tour.

"You be givin' me too much credit. Your talent is what made you a legend." I said while shaking her hand.

"But without your ideas my talents would have gone to waste nigga. Just take the damn compliment." I chuckled and punched his shoulder following them to the conference room.

While Chris had his meeting, I sat on the far end of the table looking through Instagram for her. I quickly texted Chante for her last name and after a couple minutes she replied and I hurriedly went searching for her. After finding her, I tapped follow and it sent a request then I waited patiently for her to accept it.

In the meantime, my subconscious repainted her mannerisms for the rest of the day which wasn't too often but at random moments. Eventually, my obsession wore off with the help of my increasingly busy schedule and my mind was off of her, for now at least.

C h a n t e

Today's events boomeranged so many times in my head that I became a little too concerned and curious. It's none of my business but at the same time it is because Alicia is my friend and I would like to know what happened between them...if anything happened at all.

Maybe I should ask Alicia about it...

At the next stop light, I quickly took my phone out and searched for Alicia's number and called. It rang for a little then went to voicemail. I tried once more and still nothing. A bit of frustration came over me because I was anxious to feed my curiosity. I really want to know what it is. What if it's something serious? Alright, I think I'm overreacting. It's probably not even that serious.

Before responding to the green light, I shot her a message and gassed down the road toward the wedding planner. As soon as I've collected her booklets I'm going over to Aunty Yola's house.