Chapter Five

Sylis POV

I glared at the boy who laid in my bed. His dark brown hair was tousled as he rested his head on my pillow while he snuggled into my blankets. He held that stupid bear closer to his chest in a death grip, it's beady eyes staring me down.

He looked to be the age of nineteen, but had the mindset of a naive pup. How could the Goddess pair me with someone like him. How could she pair me with anyone after what I've done. How could she endanger the life of her own creations life like this?

In all honesty I didn't care he was male. I wouldn't care if the Goddess paired me with a female. I didn't want a mate. I didn't deserve a mate.

A small knock on the door caught my attention, a growl of annoyance leaving my lips. Alpha Eric entered the room, his eyes immediately going to the boy laying in my bed.

"You cleaned him up." Eric said in surprise.

"Couldn't have my sheets getting stained with blood could I?" I sneered.

"How is he?" He asked, finally looking at me.

"Pathetic." I growled standing up and walking to the fireplace and opening a bottle of whiskey that sat on the mantel.

"Sylis, give the boy a chance. Your killing him. The boy is traumatized, he's had a hard life and all he wanted was love. All he wanted was for his mate to love him. Is that to much to ask?" Alpha Eric asked as I poured myself a glass of the light brown liquid.

"You of all people Eric, should know I can't love. Besides if I could, I could never love him. He's a burden." I snarled as I took a gulp of whiskey, the liquid burning my esophagus as it slithered down my throat.

"Stop calling him that." He growled." Atticus isn't a burden. He's scared Sylis, and so are you." He snapped.

A whine bubbled from Atticus's sleeping form, his face twisting into one of discomfort.

"Shh Alpha Eric, you'll wake the pup." I hissed.

"Help him, Sylis." He said as the boy's whines became frantic.

"I'm good."I sighed leaning back in the chair that sat in front of the fire place and was slightly turned towards the bed.

"Sylis." He snarled.

"Fine." I groaned, standing from my seat and making my way over to the bed.

I watched the boy squirm, his hold tightening on the bear.

"Sylis." Eric growled angrily.

I sighed, swiping my knuckles across his place cheek. I watched him calm under my touch, sparks shooting up my arm. I pulled my hand away, my jaw clenching as I stalked back to my seat.

"You feel them. The sparks." Eric said, his eyes watching me.

"So what if I do?" I snapped, sitting down on the chair.

"You need to embrace it. He needs you to embrace it. Sylis he has no hope, no will to live. You may not care if he dies but me and Jackie do. We want him to know their is good in this world, that he can be happy. He needs you to do that."

"What he needs is to die or to be lucky and find someone who's mate has died and he can be with them. It would be easier if he died. He'd never have to be hurt again. He could be happy. He could be with his family. I would only hurt him." I snapped, my eyes watching the dancing flames of the fire.

"You wouldn't hurt him." He said.

"You of all people know that's a lie. You've seen the beast in action, you've seen me kill entire packs with my bare hands. You can't tell me I wouldn't hurt him." I sneered, my lip curling into a scowl.