Chapter Nineteen

Sylis POV

I groaned as the scalding hot water cascaded down my back leaving a red trail of irritated skin in its wake. My mind that spun in circles from thinking about the events from three days ago drifted back to Atticus. He laid in our bed, his mind hopefully sending him to a happy place instead of tormenting him with his memories and telling him lies. Needles were poked into his thin arms. Needles that fed his body drugs that would keep his pain at bay and feed him the nutrients he needs as the drugs put him to sleep. He was surrounded by the softest pillows I could find to ensure his comfort as he slept. His bear was safely tucked awayunder his arm, it's body freshly stuffed and it's head reattached by non other than Jackie.

After Chris attacking my mate and leaving him bed ridden for a few weeks with broken ribs she'd felt guilty and immediately began fixing his bear. I was angry when she did that. Not because she fixed his bear, but because she took advantage of how naive Atticus was. She knew after she fixed the bear Atticus would forgive her immediately. Her plan played out just as she wanted it.

I on the other hand did not.

She did nothing to stop Chris, she made him feel like an outsider, and she accused him of lying. She chose to listen to a spoiled little pup over someone who feels guilty when flowers die when winter rolls in.

"S-sylis?!" The panicked cry made its way through my ears and broke my train of thought.

With a sigh escaping my lips I shut off the water and stepped out onto the soft bath mat just outside the shower door. I quickly dried myself off before wrapping the towel around my waist. Just as I had finished tucking the towel into it's place the bathroom door slowly crept open, my teary eyed mate stepping into the steam filled room.

Things were different between us.

"Little pest what are you doing? You're supposed to be in bed." I deadpanned as I towered over his small form.

A small whimper escaped his mouth making my heart ache and Valentin growl out his disapproval of my tone in my head.

"At-atticus s-s-sorry." He stuttered, his hands quickly going to his head to begin digging his nails into his scalp.

"Don't." I said, quickly grabbing his hands with mine.

The human stood helplessly before me on weak bony legs, wearing one of my button down shirts that hung off one of his sharp shoulders. His right eye was a deep purple and slightly swollen, his nose was slightly bent and bruised, his craned neck purple and blue bruises in the shape of hand prints, and finally his left arm had a trail of blood trucking down it from where he had ripped out the needles. Even with his black eye I could clearly see the fear that resided in those big beautiful green eyes as they looked at me.

"Come here." I whispered softly, only for him to whimper and step back as I moved to pick him up.

I felt a push in my head from Valentin as I watched his body begin trembling in fear before me, the sight making my chest ache in a strangest way. I didn't like that feeling. I let Valentin take control and watched as he comforted our mate. Atticus noticed the shift in my demeanor, his eyes connecting with ours before he lifted his head. He looked into our eyes and his shaking immediately stopped.

"V-Valentin." He whispered, his body relaxing in our grasp.

The fact he felt safer with my wolf than he did with me, hurt. I knew that part of the reason he felt safer with Valentin was my fault. Valentin was never the monster. I was.

"Hey baby boy." Valentin cooed, a gentle smile on his lips as he kissed our mates forehead." Let's get you back to bed." He said, bending down to carefully pick him up.