Chapter Twenty Five

Sylis POV

My heart felt heavy in my chest as I looked at Atticus who lay unconscious in the hospital bed before me. I stood at the end of his bed with my hands clenched tight as I waited impatiently for one the pack doctors to arrive. 

There was a lump in my throat that refused to go down no matter how hard I tried to make it disappear. 

"Sylis? Are you alright?" Elijah asked cautiously as he entered Atticus's hospital room, holding two cups of steaming coffee.

"Y-Yea." I said softly, my voice hoarse and shaky. 

"Here, I brought you some coffee." he said, holding out one of the cups.

With a wavering hand I gently grasped the warm Styrofoam coffee cup, taking it from his grasp and taking a small sip.  I could feel Elijah watching me as I walked over to the side of Atticus's bed and sat down in the chair next to it, never taking my eyes off of him. 

"He's going to be okay Sylis." Elijah said softly.

"I should've been there." I whispered. 

"Sylis, you had no way of knowing this was going to happen. Nobody did." he said, doing his best  to convince me it wasn't my fault.  

"Elijah, after all that he has been through, I should've known I couldn't leave him when a storm was supposed to hit." I said taking another sip of the bitter coffee in my hand.

"Sy-"

"Sylis Black? What brings you here?" the pack doctor said, interrupting Elijah.

"This i-is. This is um. This is my mate." I stuttered, struggling to get the words out of my mouth as I watched Atticus's sleeping face.

"I see." he said, trialing off. " Well it looks like your mate here has PTSD. It seems the storm triggered a memory and as a defense mechanism, his brain has taken it upon itself to protect him by placing him in a state where physically hes asleep, but mentally hes awake and in a safe place. The only bad news is, we don't know when his brain will allow him to wake up physically. He could stay like this from a few days to a few years. It all depends on when his mind determines its safe enough for him." the doctor explained, my heart dropping to the depths of my stomach.

I stayed quiet, gently taking a hold of Atticus's cold hand. I could feel their eyes on me, yet I didn't care. All I wanted was for Atticus to wake up.

Hours past before I was left alone with Atticus, the only sounds that could be heard were my breathing and the heart monitor.

"Come on baby. Wake up for me please? Come back to me. I-I don't know what to do without you. I-if your mad at me at least wake up for Valentin. He's so worried about you little pest. We both are." I paused, searching Atticus's face for any sign that he heard me. " If you wake up, I-I promise I'll never leave you alone like that again." once more I looked for a sign, but found none.

I couldn't stop the tears that rolled down my cheeks as I brought his hand to my lips and gently peppered kisses all over his soft skin.

"I guess I'm not all that good at this mate thing huh? How many times do I have to screw up before your brain decides to do this to protect you from me?" I whispered, my lips brushing against his flesh.

********

"Sylis stop! What are you doing?!" Elijah as he entered the hospital room.

"He's trying to touch him." I seethed, pinning the male nurse to the wall by this throat.

"I wa-was just tr-tryin-g to b-a-the him." the nurse choked out, from under my grip.