twelve

"The star is the most important position for the pep rally tomorrow," said Stephanie as she lifted 'Betty' and 'Veronica's' arms to make a star with the rest of the group, "it has to be perfect if we're gonna get enough team spirit," she stood in the middle of the shape the girls had made and sighed, "Okay, I wanna hear you shout,"

"We're forces of nature, that's what makes a star, we may look like girls but that's not all we are,"

"Woo, spirit fingers!" Stephanie waved her fingers in the air as the rest of the girls cheered, "Way to cheer! Let's hit the mall," the rest of the cheer squad walked away whilst Sarah, Erica, Lily, Ethan, and Benny stayed in the gym.

"I still can't believe you made me sign up for this!" Lily groaned at Sarah as she threw her pom-poms on the floor.

"I know, I'm sorry! I'm regretting it too," Sarah replied, she turned to Ethan and Benny, "And you guys, why would you sign-up voluntarily?" The boys looked to the remaining three cheerleaders that were packing away equipment, "Never mind," she sighed.

Lily stood next to Sarah and Erica, "We don't have to go to the mall with them, do we?"

"I think I'm gonna grab a bite," Erica said, leaving the gym. Lily and Sarah looked at each other with wide eyes and ran after Erica.

They finally caught up with her and saw her talking to Stephanie by the lockers, "Erica, don't!"

Suddenly, they saw a bright purple light and Stephanie appeared in front of them, her eyes glowing, "Let's give you two a bit more spirit,"

--

Benny and Ethan walked downstairs to see a bunch of cheerleaders gossiping on Ethan's couch. Sarah had text them earlier that night to let them know they were coming round to see 'Betty' and 'Veronica', so they had quickly dressed up and Ethan had paid Jane not to tell anyone.

"Oh, there you are!" Stephanie smiled at them, "Don't be shy girls, join the fun, the spirit squad is now in session,"

Lily ran up to the two 'girls', "Hi girls, nice hair! Oh my gosh, cheerleader sleepovers are so fun! Later on, we're gonna give each other mani-petties!" she squealed.

"Make sundaes? And do each other's hair?" Benny asked in a girly voice.

"Benny!" Ethan muttered.

"Yes! We need sundaes now!" Lily said, grabbing Benny's hands, and jumping up and down.

"Lily! What are you doing? Didn't you realise Stephanie's a witch? She's planning to steal the souls of everyone at school!" Ethan whispered.

"Okay, I know she might seem like a witch because she acts like a witch, but she's actually really sweet!" she replied, grinning at them, "As long as you're not ugly," she then whispered. She giggled and ran towards the group behind her.

"Lily, Sarah and Erica must be under Stephanie's spell," Ethan whispered to Benny, "I mean, Lily was acting like a total girl!"

"Yeah, it's kind of cute on her though, weird... but cute," Benny replied, "So what do we do now?"

The boys widened their eyes as Sarah jumped on the coffee table and screamed, "Let's have a pillow fight," the girls cheered in reply and they all started hitting each other with pillows whilst giggling.

"Wasn't there something we were supposed to be doing?" Benny asked, not taking his eyes off the cheerleaders.

"Yeah, the whole school might die if we don't stop them..." Ethan said, also watching the girls in front of him.

"Tomorrow is hours away,"

"This is literally the coolest moment of my life,"

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Benny asked.

"Pillow fight!" They both screamed as they grabbed some pillows and joined the cheerleaders.

--

The next day, the girls ran into the gym and got ready to perform to the crowd in front of them.

"The moment has come, this is it! Our finest hour, no stopping us now! You can't resist our power! We're forces of nature, that's what makes a star! We may look like girls but that's not all we are!"

The girls got into a circle shape around Stephanie and started their chant, "Garna, virto, imortalis! Garna, virto, imortalis! Give up now cuz your gonna be beat! We are out for power and are gonna defeat!"

"Benny, now!" Ethan shouted across to Benny, who started chanting another spell.

"Substace, thoresal, linnimartnaral! Substace, thoresal, linnimartnaral!"

"Back off geeks! I've been waiting 50 years to bring this school down and no one is going to stop me now!" Stephanie shouted. Her eyes turned purple and all the doors in the gym slammed shut. As the lights turned off, she started to levitate and people in the crowd became unconscious - their souls circling the cheerleaders.

"Ethan, I don't think it's working! Maybe we're saying it wrong!" Benny panicked.

"Step out of the pentagram!" Ethan told him, they tried to move but their feet were stuck to the ground.

"I can't, I'm stuck!"

"Move the pom-poms closer to Lily, she's a witch, she'll know what to do," Ethan shouted.

They stretched their arms out and the pom-poms touched Lily, who looked around in shock, "What's going on? Stephanie's a witch?"

"Yeah, she's sucking the souls out of the whole student body, what do we do?!"

"I knew something was wrong," Lily shut her eyes and started muttering a spell.

"Get back in formation! This cheer must be completed!" Stephanie shouted. Lily opened her eyes and shouted the end of her spell. There was a bright light and the girls fell out of the pentagram, Stephanie fell to floor.

"You okay?" Benny asked, as he helped Lily up.

"Yeah... Stephanie was... strong," Lily replied.

"You beat her though, so you're stronger. You gotta teach me how to do that sometime,"

She chuckled, "Maybe,"

The students in the crowd started to wake up and leave, whilst Erica smirked at the unconscious cheerleaders on the floor, "Sweet! It's like an all you can eat buffet," Sarah, Lily, Benny, and Ethan stared at her with their eyebrows raised, "What? Like anyone is gonna miss her!"

The cheerleaders started to wake up and they stared in shock at Stephanie, "She's old! Ew!"

Since Lily had stopped the immortality spell, Stephanie had returned to her original age, the same age as Benny's grandma.

"You! You ruined everything!" she screamed at Lily, who smirked.

"Poor Stephanie," Evelyn said, appearing out of nowhere, "I remember how mean folks were to you back then," Stephanie magicked up a knife and screamed at her, but Evelyn shot a purple bolt from her hands and made her unconscious, "What I forgot was just how much you deserved it,"

"Three cheers for grandma!" Sarah cheered.

"I am so done with cheerleading," Ethan said, throwing his pom-poms to the ground.

"Agreed,"

"Smart kids, all that jumping around is fun but what you're left with is saggy pom-poms," Benny's grandma told them, putting her arms around Lily and Benny. They all looked at each other awkwardly, before walking out of the gym.