thirty-three

"I'm really glad she's back but, I don't know, she seemed...different," Ethan said, as he and Benny stood at their lockers. As Ethan reached in, Benny did some spell, "Cut it out,"

"I was just testing something," Benny said, sighing, "I was trying to summon my chick but-" He stopped as Ethan pulled a baby chick from his locker, "That wasn't the chick I wanted,"

"Just focus, okay Benny, I'm worried about her,"

"I'm worried about Lily too," Benny said, stroking the chick, "I mean, I know she's gone away before but-"

"Not Lily, Sarah," Ethan sighed.

Benny shrugged, "Sarah's probably just traumatised, she'll need time to adjust,"

As he said that, Sarah walked towards them, laughing with Erica, "Look who I bumped into," Erica said, her arm linked with Sarah's.

"Welcome back chick?" Benny offered, "It wasn't the chick I was wishing for, so,"

Sarah reached over and stroked the chick, "Awe Benny, it's so cute, it'll make a yummy snack later,"

Both boys frowned, "What?"

"It's a joke!" she giggled, "Ethan, I don't remember you being so serious!"

"I don't remember you being so funny," he muttered, "But, good one!"

Benny chuckled, and then looked back down at the chick.

"Hey, so Benny, how are you?" Sarah asked, Benny looked up and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Fine at the moment, I mean, I don't have a cold or anything so-"

Sarah rolled her eyes, "No, I mean with the Lily situation,"

Benny looked back down at the chick and shrugged, "I don't know, I guess I'm just hoping she'll come back,"

As the bell went, Sarah and Erica sighed, "Even immortals still have to go to class," they both waved and left.

"You know, if Lily was here right now, she would probably want this chick," Benny sighed.

Ethan turned to him, "Dude, are you sure you're okay? You're never this...down,"

Benny shrugged, "I'm fine," he sighed, "c'mon let's go to class,"

--

"I know how she feels," Rory explained, as the three came out of class, "When I first got my powers, I totally couldn't deal, I got so mad once, I wanted to bite the moon, but I didn't, the moon's safe...for now,"

"Can we change the subject?" Ethan asked, "I've had enough vampire drama for one day,"

As they walked forwards, they saw a massive crowd, "Wow, the rumour was true! Dirk Baddison from Dusk!"

"I can't believe he's here," Ethan remarked.

"I can't believe anyone cares," Benny scoffed, "Ooh, I heart blood and sparkle and feel sad a lot," he mocked, "You know, if Lily were here, she wouldn't care," he chuckled, "she'd probably laugh at how so many girls think he's hot,"

Ethan went to talk to him, before getting pulled away by Erica, who dragged Dirk away.

Benny managed to grab his coffee cup, "Okay, who wants an authentic guy from Dusk coffee cup? He actually drank from it!"

--

"Why are they so mad at Ethan?" Benny asked Sarah.

"They think he's after them, first two vamps were attacked in his backyard, then two tried to pick him up and they were taken out too," she sighed, "I'm really worried about him,"